Birds (as in πŸ¦…πŸ§πŸ•ŠπŸ¦†πŸ¦’πŸ¦‰πŸ¦©πŸ¦šπŸ¦œπŸ” etc)

Ooo fingers crossed. Spent a cold afternoon today watching a Hen Harrier on a rough grassland about 3 miles from the house. Genuinely magical birds.

2 Likes

No joy. Couple of stonechats that it was pictured with but bi Dartford Warbler. All I got for my troubles is 2 Dr Martens boots full of water as, unbeknownst to me, the itchen (which flows round the reserve on both sides) had burst its banks in many places turning the path into an auxillary river. Reckon it was 4 inches deep in places. Hope in haven’t knackered these boots

Bloody birds

3 Likes

Eeesh bloody hell. Get them boots stuffed with paper and they’ll be reet, hopefully!

Nice to be out though?

1 Like

Aye indeed it was. If only I’d remembered my bins :rofl:

That’s what a 4am alarm results in

2 Likes

The joy of a 4am alarm is that it gives you chance to put the bins out if you forgot the night before!

2 Likes

Bins as in binoculars.

But yes, it definitely has a singular advantage, getting up early

1 Like

:person_facepalming: makes sense in the bird thread.

Not seen the mystery bird by/in the river for a few days. Have seen a heron several times when going to work at silly am though - didn’t realise they worked nights (although I suppose light pollution near the city…)

3 Likes

We have a local egret:

15 Likes

That is one beautifully lit egret

5 Likes

Just one eagle in the eagle today. Hope their pal is ok.

5 Likes

Egret or carrier bag…?

5 Likes

Better

12 Likes

Some goosanders on the river on the south side on the city apparently. Gonna try and get out for a walk down there tomorrow morning for a look see. We also still have that Dartford Warbler floating around, but the end of the nature reserve that it’s sat on is shut atm.

4 Likes

Def a plastic bag that

2 Likes

What’s the reserve called?

1 Like

Winnal moors

Nice bit of chalk stream business that. Fingers crossed for some green sandpipers on there as well.

Not normally, but they do get in the watercress beds (fed by chalkstreams) up river a bit. Snipe in there atm.

1 Like

Taken my first bird walk this year to scope these out. Managed to spot one ducking and diving about. Also Γ© shoveler off to the right of the river which is rare around here

2 Likes