Bitcoin, Blockchain, Cryptocurrency and NFTs

Thought I’d start another thread on this as things seem to be picking up after the massive sell-off at the end of last year.

Anyone got any ripple they can lend us?

A cryptocurrency is a form of digital asset or money that can be exchanged in a similar way to normal currency. There’s no physical money attached to a cryptocurrency, so there are no coins or notes, only a digital record of the transaction.

Cryptocurrencies come in many forms, but the best known is Bitcoin.

• Buying and storing a cryptocurrency is quite technically demanding and it’s easy for things to go wrong.
  • Cryptocurrency prices tend to be very unstable; if you’re investing with the hope of making money, it’s very easy to lose some or all your original investment.
  • Cryptocurrency investors are increasingly targeted by fraudsters, while cryptocurrency exchanges have also been subject to cyberattacks.
  • The complexity of some cryptocurrency products can make it hard for investors to understand the risks.
  • There is no guarantee that crypto-assets can be converted back into cash. Being able to do this requires a level of demand and supply that can’t be guaranteed.
  • The lack of regulation means that seeking compensation or making complaints is very difficult - investors are unlikely to have recourse to either the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

loooool

https://twitter.com/JamesLiamCook/status/948111845382152192

7 Likes

I have heard of this (as a bad thing) but also have no idea what it is if you could marckee it for me please

Are you … are you too young to know what goatse is?

4 Likes

I think so, maybe?

Still dont know what bitcoin is and I intend to keep it that way

1 Like

Signed up to Coinbase whilst bored over Xmas but still waiting for them to verify my identity. But I realised that if idiots like me are jumping onboard who don’t even fully understand what a bitcoin is (it’s like a load of old fossilised PDF files, right?) then the ship has probably sailed long ago.

Invested about £30k in Karipsa over the last year and if it all goes to plan i’ll be the Chinese Deputy Manager of Finance by September.

1 Like

#国王自卸车

打赌大,赢大

5 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-21/crypto-craze-sees-long-island-iced-tea-rename-as-long-blockchain

Excusable.

But I’m astonished that Rory Cellan-Jones wouldn’t be aware of Goatse. He’s been the BBCs tech correspondent for over a decade.

(Edit: link is pretty much SFW, btw.)

I did read an interesting thing about how these and normal financial transactions are produced by existing servers doing complex equation “work” to generate “value” to the coins themselves. And that this will contribute to environmental oblivion by using so much electricity. :joystick:

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s now completely unviable to try to mine them yourself. In this country, anyway.

1 Like

I think decentralized currency does have some emancipatory potential.

There are plenty of anti-government/libertarians conspiracy theorists involved at this point as well unfortunately and bitcoin mining is for sure too energy intensive to be sustainable.

In fairness that was a poor example not least because Maduro hasn’t actually outlined how it would work.

What’s more interesting is that cryptocurrencies have allowed people in Venezuela to bypass the restrictions on the Bolivar.

Can Bitcoin be a con?!

Only if you accidentally buy “Bitcon”. Keep a close eye out for that cheeky i and you’ll be reet.

1 Like

Cheers I’ll keep me focused and informed!

TRX is seriously undervalued right now for those looking to make a little on the side.