Bitcoin, Blockchain, Cryptocurrency and NFTs

It looked like a bit of tupperware with a straw attached. I refuse to believe head-stabbing was the first thing that popped into any doctor’s mind when they thought of safe ways to remove ear poo.

But it only needs to be the later invention/technique by a decade for the earlier one to have the stranglehold

Of course Tate is a crypto shill

Noel Gallagher doesn’t mention this is an NFT…

2 Likes

Ooof, he’s gone and fucked it.

In fairness, if I were tasked with selling an NFT, I’d probably try and avoid admitting it too.

1 Like

can’t wait for Liam to pipe up and call him a computer bastard or something

6 Likes

There’s been a few musicians releasing these Serenade NFTs lately, bit of a weird one. Lanterns On The Lake just announced theirs.

Limited edition digital pressing :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

If only they had focused on doing bandcamp properly then there would be no need!

https://twitter.com/Stocktwits/status/1682408282756116487?s=20

13 Likes

i really should have bought Meths’ original Tweets. Who knows what they could be worth now?

It’s nice to feel vindicated from sitting in a room with “smart” and “tech-savvy” people saying that we need to get on top of this NFT space, it’s important, we can’t get left behind on this and thinking “…but it’s so, so obviously complete fucking nonsense and it’s really worrying that you can’t see that”, isn’t it

3 Likes

Was sad to see his account got hacked recently. Was one of the few perfect Twitter profiles.

From what I can tell, a bit like the QR code, NFTs are now hoping to become one of those things that’s slotted in the background as a proof of ownership to unlock things. So it won’t really have any value, and we won’t even know we have one, it’ll just be a file like a cookie.

Any of the ones without a purpose are a bit like buying vintage keys for display. We’ve entered an era where you can buy a souvenirs paper ticket for gigs so there’s something odd going on with “collectibles” and from what I noticed, the entire web3 gold rush was driven by the sort of people who would have once collected baseball cards.

Munecat’s analysis from over a year ago is still spot on

I might disagree with that one, coming purely from two separate careers in collectable goods (high end guitars and rare books).

There certainly is an odd inherited nostalgia for paper goods, for instance, and collectors tend to be very susceptible to the idea of collecting other things too, but the NFT sits outside of that for me, because at heart it’s got more of an appeal to traders, gamblers, and crucially people already invested in crypto as a wider cultural proof of concept (which has failed, and failed quickly).

Only one of the thousands of collectors we work with has ever mentioned NFTs, and he has now renounced them as him ‘being incredibly suckered’.

For blockchain/provenance use, I’ve always said the art world will be pleased (though not secondary market as it destabilises their confidence in markup) but on a cultural level the only reason you’d collect one now would be to put next to your Betamax cassette or zune - great failures of our time.

2 Likes

To be clear, I think baseball cards are more like financial assets to a lot of the collectors. My dad was a bit like it with boxed toy cars at one point. :melting_face:

(Just realised I deleted the bit where I mentioned baseball cards)

1 Like

Gotcha and that’s very fair, too. My point is perhaps better out as cultural collectors couldn’t give a fuck about NFTs, it was always about financial possibilities married to rules/stats

Boxed cars straddle that with real nostalgia I think

1 Like

I think some of the people in the music NFT “space” saw it as a way of ensuring limited edition vinyl could have a second hand market. Then it all just snowballed into selling jpgs.

The way Holly+ allowed people to become part of the board of governors and choose how the AI voice evolved felt like a good step on from crowdfunding and Patreon but didn’t fully understand why it all needed to be crypto and blockchain.

Spent so much time trying to work out what I was missing. And spent a lot of time gawping into all of it like reading a chapter of this book (one of my favourites) being written in real time Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds - Wikipedia

1 Like