Black Midi

wouldn’t have really filed them alongside any of this lot but it’s a solid album yeah

Big fan of Geordie’s random appearance in this four year old video featuring Morgan’s drumming (at around 18.35)

1 Like

I am really in to the fact that you stan these guys like they’re BTS

1 Like

BTS are terrible post-punk

2 Likes

their bassist has solid post-punk chops from her time in Girls Names yeah, i feel like the others are coming from a more alt rock / post-hardcore direction (Cahir the guitarist was in Jetplane Landing and Fighting With Wire) but yeah it’s a bit of a mixture

1 Like

I reckon the new Shame album is what Idles thought their last album was going to sound like

1 Like

Listenable? I agree.

5 Likes

It’s what i wanted it to sound like. That Idles album pretty much stopped me listening to them completely!

4 Likes

Dry Cleaning > BCNR > Squid > Shame > Black Midi

I’ve tried Cavalcade 4 times now, and each time I just want it to be over so I can listen to something else. I think I have to chuck in the towel and just accept that you’re all quite clearly listening to a different album to me. :-/

3 Likes

It’s interesting that the bands listed above (plus Idles) all get lumped in under the category of post-punk. They seem such a far cry from the heavyweights of the genre like PIL or Joy Division 40 years ago or even the likes of Interpol and Liars 20 years ago. None of them are bad in any way but to be honest there is nothing particularly outstanding about any of them either. I’d give BCNR a chance at doing something memorable in the future but I reckon the others will burn out within a few years.

Just to add I think the best of the “post-punk” bands coming out of Britain right now is a band called Lice whose debut album “WASTELAND: What Ails Our People Is Clear” I heartily recommend.

Never heard Shame so I will obviously check them out. Not sure if I have heard of them but almost certainly there’s been a mention somewhere.

I did listen to the Goat Girl album when it came out and it didn’t really do much for me. One of those albums where I kept expecting to find the meat but it never really happened. I hadn’t even considered it being part of this scene.

That Squid album is definitely just a bit too long, but I love it regardless. I mean I’ve given it a lot of listens but principally the first half (or it’s principally the first half where I am fully attending to it) due to its length. Might start playing it from halfway through to see if it feels different.

My second play of Black Midi was much like my first: lots of bits to love but overall it didn’t really zing for me.

Ha, that’s possibly why I’m actually enjoying them, as they’re not too post-punk! (love post-rock incidentally)…

1 Like

Agreed, that Lice record is good. Hopefully seeing them in Cambridge later in the year too :crossed_fingers:

Yeah, the post-punk tag definitely feels a lot like music press simplifying than anything. I think i even remember a Guardian article featuring a few of these bands saying that the more spoken word lyrics has almost nothing to do with “sprechgesang” or the Fall, but has more to do with the fact that the most popular genre of music right now is hip-hop

as evidenced by the current focus of that longstanding reviews rag P4K.

Found it and I’m mainly remembering Florence from Dry Cleaning’s bit

but this baffles Shaw. “When people talk to us about the vocals, they are inevitably mentioning bands that stopped putting out records before I was born,” she says. “What I was listening to when I was a kid was P Diddy. It’s possible the delivery owes more to So Solid Crew than the Fall. I was 12 when 21 Seconds came out and that was so exciting – all those amazing characters with such distinctive styles. It was talking in a way that was so exciting. I love all the post-punk music and that kind of delivery, but it’s absolutely bonkers to ignore the fact that the dominant pop music since I was six has been rap. It’s really strange that people don’t acknowledge it.”

3 Likes

I don’t buy that at all; the delivery of the vocals from these bands doesn’t seem to owe anything to the syncopation/rhythmic root of rap.

There’s a rich history of indie bands name checking influences that are realistically absent in terms of musical output.

Band: Conky and the Dog.

Sounds like: Shed 7 B sides.

Claimed influences: Steve Reich, Run DMC and Neu.

4 Likes

Are you sure you haven’t heard Shame?

5 Likes

Ha! It must have left my Spotify library or I didn’t add ut!

1 Like