Black Mirror

still only seen the first 3 eps
1: ok
2: bit bad
3: ok, felt very sad at the end

does he write most of the episodes on his own? still a fan of the show but reckon netflix or whoever should make him work with a bigger writing team

1st Episode was his idea - but was actually written by Rashida Jones out of Parks and Rec and some other Parks and Rec writer bloke

He co wrote episode 2 ( I think ) with someone else

Rest were all him

Rewatched a lot of these recently. Wheras White Bear is good, I’ve not got much to say about it. Me and my friends talked about the Waldo Moment for ages though. A really interesting failure, if it was a longer episode and if Waldo was slightly different, that could have been great.

A lot of people down on Play test (ep 2) but I loved it.

Maybe because I have a lot of mum guilt, neurosis about my late father etc etc.

Yes the main guy was a backpacking ‘dude’ stereotype, but seemed like a good bloke.

2 Likes

I quite enjoyed it as well, kind of reminded me a little bit of Existenz.

1 Like

Shut Up and Dance - uncomfortable and depressing.

San Junipero - good, agreed with what others have said, beautifully shot, bit slow in places. Liked the reveal and the time jump bit

Men Against Fire - not great if I’m honest. On paper, it should be my favourite. I guessed the twist and found it just…I dunno a tired idea that I swear I’ve seen/read about before. Michael Kelly was good though, but he always is. Found Rai fucking annoying.

Playtest is still the best though, I’d happily watch that again.

I’m late to this, but I wanted to add a thought about playtest.

The final jump ending thing? Isn’t that the point? It picks the worst ending, and that is absolutely the worst ending. Does that mean it is the real ending? Or is it just the manifestation of the worst fear?

wo

had no idea he was the sole writer for those, assumed every episode had him plus about three others

Also Konnie Huq co-wrote Fifteen Million Merits, and someone else wrote the third episode of the first series.

Playtest is a rubbish episode really tbh

I hadn’t thought of this, but because of the way it’s framed I reckon it’s not a manifestation or “imagining” of his worst fear i.e. dying. I think the worst fears were the stuff in the five minutes before that final scene. I can’t really point to anything which says why I think that, but it’s just the vibe the show gave me.

For what it’s worth I recently rewatched Playtest and liked it loads more a second time around.

No, you’re a rubbish episode!

I would be :frowning:

1 Like

Just watched all of them in the past month or so, and I think the best ones are the ones in the near-ish future. I think 15 Million Merits and Men Against Fire were weaker episodes because the premise wasn’t as realistic as other episodes. Also, Men Against Fire had a much heavier-handed ‘moral’ behind it.

Really interesting to read here that people liked Shut Up and Dance. I thought it was by far the worst - poor acting, weak premise, never seemed believable, and guessed the twist before the end because he would always kind of hint at why it would be bad if it leaked, but would always be cut off. Just didn’t feel as well thought out as the others. Seemed rushed and probably would have been a better season overall without it.

Loved San Juperio, thought it was beautifully done, feel like you’d have to be dead inside to not feel something. Fantastic acting in that one too.

S4 preview and titles

6 Likes

Excite…

Yaasssssss

Never seen this thread before. Disappointed to see some of the negative reviews earlier on, I think it’s generally brilliant.

1 Like