Blade Runner 2049 (SPOILERS)

Wouldn’t mind if it’s stature grows over time and we get another banging one in three decades tbf

1 Like

Saw it this afternoon at t’IMAX. Thought the visuals were amazing and worth the price of admission alone, the rest of it I have already completely forgotten tbh. Will definitely watch again though.

I have no problem with the film’s gender politics - humanity in 2049 is depicted as a bunch of environmentally reckless slave-drivers, so it wouldn’t make much sense if they were sexually enlightened as well. Made for a brilliantly creepy sex scene too.

Meh 7/10

Spectacle was really something but the story left a lot to be desired. Enjoyed 2/3rds of it til it got to the explain everything scenes and found it just really OTT with the michael bay dubstep bwahhhhs all the time.

2 Likes

I don’t really have a lot of analysis to add to my comment above of really enjoying the film, but after a bit more time to think about it, I think it’s worth reiterating other people’s comments about how visually good it is.

I’m not sure if trailers are the same everywhere, but for me it was a Batman/Superman/Wonderwoman film, a Marvel film with Thor and the Hulk, and some atrocious-looking film about weather starring Gerard Butler. All of them looked like a CGI vomit-inducing mess, really (unintentionally) unattractive looking films.

I’m not well-versed in how films are made, but I expect BR2049 was similarly saturated in CGI, but it seemed so elegant compared to those trailers. I think that I would find it worth the time and money just to watch those visuals, before any plot/performances come into it (both of which I have no complaints about).

I also kind of accept criticisms of the BWAAARRGGHHHMMM soundtrack stuff, but I’ve loved the original soundtrack so long that I’m delighted to hear new versions of those massive synth sweeps. I had been worried when Zimmer was brought in that we would get huge orchestral stuff, so I’m glad that was avoided.

Favourite bit - when they were going to the orphanage and there was the scene of the waterfall-thing accompanied by big synth stuff. That was the moment where I realised that this film was delighting me.

4 Likes

It did look good no doubt but i was just constantly thinking ‘fuuuuck they threw so much money at this’

1 Like

We had a rather random trailer selection - The Snowman, Ready Player One, Red Sparrow (Jennifer Lawrence as Black Widow…er…I mean Red Sparrow) and The Death of Stalin. I guess I should be grateful!

Agree with this. There’s supposed to be a trilogy of these, no? Feel like the replicant army stuff could make for some horrendous sequels. Felt a bit Dune all that actually.

Yeah, but there are huge-budget films that look fucking horrible, so if they want to spend on something like this I’m happy. I think that I have a weakness for things (this goes for TV and music, etc) where, even if they’re flawed, it feels like a huge amount of care and affection has went in. This film had that imo.

Also fwiw i thought sylvia hoeks was the best thing in it, thought she was amazing in every scene.

1 Like

The issue isn’t the way that women are treated in the imagined future, but the way they are treated by the director, in our 2017.

I can see it turning into a MockingJay-type film.

Saw it today, thought it was great, looked amazing and effects seemed more real models and old school than a cgi fest but that could be a case of spend loads in cgi to make it not look like cgi.

As for the representation of women, I saw it as; it’s a noir film and therefore takes it’s queues from the genre tropes. In noir women are often the fatales/murderers/love interests/dead bodies or any combination of those. You could say that in 2017 a noir film could be subverting those archetypes but the film makers decided to stay within the genres confines.

1 Like

Another one who enjoyed it - probably somewhere between a 7-8 for me. A little too long but very enjoyable and kept me thinking, which I like.

But fuck me I hated the soundtrack. The original is a classic but I’m very much over the Zimmer foghorn nonsense. Some people in our viewing actually started laughing when Jared Leto’s killbot noticed Gosling turning of his projection lady and it just went BWAAAAAHHHHHH. Can’t say I blame them

1 Like

Fair enough, but in that case I thought the Robin Wright and Sylvia Hoeks characters were pretty great, the hologirlfriend was sympathetically portrayed throughout and the final plot twist effectively usurped the main character with a woman (admittedly one that’s locked in a box and hardly has any screen time…)

Just seen it - I was adamant after watching the trailer that it was going to be a glossy action no-plotter and until the good reviews chimed in I was avoiding the film altogether so I guess I had zero expectations of this being good. I wasn’t convinced about casting Gosling because he’s practically omnipresent and Harrison Ford as Deckard long after a replicant’s short life span made me fear that this was going to be a sequel to the crap voice-over version.

Anyway I really got into it and it’s one of those films that leaves you with plenty to chew on and yes, the visuals were stunning. Gosling was a great choice after all. I also really enjoyed the bowel-rupturing low bass notes that peppered the film…

saw it, liked it. Agreed on the world building bit, but not sure I’d entirely want them to go in that direction.

Agreed the cgi looked way better than almost any of the other trailers, though Annihilation will probably be decent.

Theyve basically just ignored any mention of this, havent they? I mean, he held his own against K but… do replicants age???

What does that mean?

It developing into a full blown ‘uprising’ franchise.

(Mockingjay 1 & 2 were the last films in the Hunger Games series and, while a lot better, were more like the latter Matrix films)

they alluded towards this when he met with Leto, but they didn’t mention anything about the elongated lifespan