Blade Runner 2049 (SPOILERS)

what did he say? i can’t remember. did struggle to hear some of the dialogue in the cinema i was in tbh.

something along the lines of Leto implying Deckard was created solely to fall for Rachel and impregnate her

4 Likes

ahh yeah

I think it was the Kermode review that mentioned that Villeneuve doesn’t seem to subscribe to that theory as adamantly as Ridley Scott does, so maybe that’s why it wasn’t really dealt with.

Does this film feel as long as it is? Wanted to see it today but the runtime put me off

Fair does. Planning on going midweek now but long films put me off. Gone Girl was a right chore

Saw it a few hours ago, thought it was absolutely stunning. Really glad they stayed true to the original with how they really immersed you in the world - I liked the pacing in how you got to really soak in the setting and quirks of 2049 LA / Vegas.

Will definitely be seeing it again at the cinema - definitely a film that benefits from being on the big screen with a decent sound system.

I think @lastdino’s review is spot on. Visually one of the best films I’ve ever seen - the quality of production is just breath-taking.

2 Likes

I struggle with long run times but this felt like a breeze. Didn’t want it to end.

9 Likes

well they’re in a quandry because (as people off here love to point out) he doesn’t necessarily behave like one in the original film. ridley scott saying ‘duh, he’s a replicant you morons’ is fine but neither way really satisfies everything that happens. i think tbh they just played it safe and sat on the fence. i do agree with the criticisms about laying the foundations for various sequels and i think part of that is still not giving a definite answer and keeping harrison ford on side.

1 Like

I think there was something in the opening text about open-ended lifespans? That might have been referring to the post-Deckard Wallace models though.

Didn’t notice it at all, in fact I was surprised when it ended.

4 Likes

Giving female characters a story is woke now?

Jesus.

Can’t tell if this tweet is sarcasm or not.

Got a last minute spare ticket for this on Friday. Thought it was…ok

Story was not great and the pacing felt far too slow for what was actually resolved. Felt like two thirds of a story arc so assume they are definitely gearing up for another film (which looks worryingly like some kind of Matrix 3 Rise Of The Replicants affair). It obviously looked AMAZING and I also enjoyed the soundtrack (a massive WHOOOOM in a big cinema is always great fun). Some of the new characters were great (Luv, Sapper Morton), some not so great (what were you actually trying to achieve Jarde Leto?). Exciting to see Edward James Olmos back for a cameo, even if he did appear to be playing Colonel Sanders.

Had a very similar feeling to when I watched The Force Awakens - it was all fine and well put together, but without the call backs to the original would I really have been that bothered about watching? 6/10…

1 Like

What did you not like about the story?

Replicant baby story just seemed silly. As I mentioned above, the replicant resistance movement also looked fairly hokey. Think that was about it for the storyline wasn’t it?

Actually, in fairness I did like K’s implanted memories twist…

Absolutely loved this. Saw it twice over the weekend. Got a couple of issues with some elements - does it pass the Bechdel test? Don’t think it does, which is a shame. Also, and hopefully someone might be able to assist here -

So, K’s holowife is a product made by Jared scenery chewer’s company. K finds the horse and promptly goes home and discusses this with said holowife, as well as confiding everything in her. Surely Jared and Co. would have picked up that K was the child (at least, it very much appeared to be the case) and grabbed him?? Also, I don’t really feel like the obedience thing was defined well enough. It doesn’t really work does it?

Yeah, I was very surprised that the film implied that Wallace Corporation doesn’t monitor all conversations that its customers have.

They used Joi to track him, but I don’t think they recorded his conversations (at least not in a listening-in manner). I don’t think they knew the significance of the horse either.

1 Like