Blanck Mass

Streaming now:

‘The Rat’ is a beast

2 Likes

John Doe’s Carnival of Error is a great track name.

I think I prefer this over Dumb Flesh, Hive Mind is a great track to go out on.

I think Dumb Flesh is the superior album all in all, though I appreciate that he has tried something different and understand why people might enjoy this more.

It’s still a really solid album and it’s basically the only thing I’ve been playing atm. I think my issue is that I’m finding the slower numbers (Please, Minnesota…, Hive Mind) to be less compelling than equivalents such as Lung and Detritus off of Dumb Flesh, and I find Dumb Flesh as a whole to be much more propulsive.

1 Like

Released today - giving it a listen now

I really love this. Definite step up from Dumb Flesh for me.

The processed vocals sound great throughout, and so does the general atmosphere of it all. Loads of ideas with a greater range in sound. I thought a couple of tracks on Dumb Flesh could have been trimmed to be a bit shorter/cut completey, but every moment of this feels vital.

1 Like

Is Pharmakon supporting at the Rich Mix gig?

According to the Pharmakon bandcamp they’re playing in Nottingham that night.

Boo-urns.

Listening to this now - incredible stuff. Some of it is proper hypnotic-sounding.

1 Like

They’ve added a couple more dates to their upcoming tour. I’m glad they’ve included Newcastle!

21st Apr - CCA, Glasgow, UK
22nd Apr - Safe As Milk Festival, Prestatyn
26th Apr - The Haunt, Brighton, UK (w/Pharmakon)
27th Apr - Rich Mix, London, UK (w/Egyptrixx)
28th Apr - Brudenell Social Club, Leeds, UK
29th Apr - The Lantern, Bristol, UK (w/Egytptrixx)
3rd May - The Cluny, Newcastle, UK
4th May - Deaf Institute, Manchester, UK

2 Likes

Loving this, a real step up from Dumb Flesh I reckon. May have go and see him at The Brudenell again.

No idea why people go to gigs at the haunt. Would.live to see both pharmakon and blanck mass but seriously, that place sucks. Rich Mix is a mixed bag as well- when they sell to many tickets you can end up stuck upstairs on a balcony that also acts as the walkway to the cinema.

I’m not a fan of Haunt either but there’s barely any comparable sized venues in Brighton that would do a similar job, sadly. All the gigs are done by 10ish too which can kill the vibe a bit.

A completely absorbing, cohesive beast! Sold on the first listen.

1 Like

Listening to it right now. Holy fuckballs, Rhesus Negative.

3 Likes

This flows really well as an album. Probably the most satisfying overall of the 3 records, despite the fact that the previews didn’t really stand out to me. I had the opposite with Dumb Flesh where the previews got me HYPED and then the record was a bit underwhelming.

1 Like

agreed - maybe that and this should go in the unhinged balls of energy thread…

Having picked up a ticket see both at Haunt (having fallen love with both Pharmakon and Blanck Mass recently) and having never been there before, would you mind sharing what makes the place not great to go to?? - e.g. Sound quality, beer prices, etc

Had this on in the car Sunday night driving to and from the cinema - sounds amazing in the dark, genuinely unsettling in places, massive in others. I swear there’s one moment where it’s pretty much a constant sample of a scream, but it’s probably something else - in any case, this wasn’t apparent when I was listening to it on my stereo, but was accentuated so much more in the car. Not sure where I’m going with this - big fan though.