Blank Check with Griffin and David

The Halloween episode is 3 hours and 17 minutes long. Great episode. Alex Ross Perry starts off taking the piss out of himself and David, then drives in with a truckload of context, and then they actually talk through the movie in detail. I repeat, great episode.

1 Like

Luckily Iā€™ve got a 3+ hour drive tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

The most recent Patreon episode, where they talk about great ā€˜walksā€™ in movies and them rank them is an all-timer. 3 hours with the two friends, Ben and JD Admato that perfectly breaks down why I love this podcast. The inherent pointlessness of doing this in the first place is prevalent, the presentation of the cases is full-on film talk, and then the ranking just dives into complete silliness Just perfect entertainment.

2 Likes

Awesome. Am a bit behind on the patreons but really looking forward to this

Some wonderful person has created a wordle-style puzzle-per-day version of the box office game to play online.

Youā€™re given the weekend date, and other basic info like the weekend gross and gross so far. And the studio.

Youā€™re also given 200 points if you can guess the film immediately. But you can also ā€˜spendā€™ the points on different clues, like the name of the director, the tagline, the budget, the names of the two main actors, the total eventual gross, the genre and the plot synopsis. Obviously different categories cost a different number of points.

Todayā€™s weekend was the weekend of July 28th, 2017. I wasnā€™t confident enough to guess any of them outright, but I did well with the clues.

I got the number one from the director
I got the number two from the main actor
I got the number three from the plot description (I did alright on the first two so I thought I would indulge. Turns out that was a good idea.
I got the number four from the director
I had an inkling about the number five because of the high gross so far, but again went for the director and knew what it was immediately.

Kind of fun. I think this is a fun game for people who donā€™t listen to Blank Check, but I thought Iā€™d post it here as us fans would definitely appreciate it.

3 Likes

Also, the Sam Raimi miniseries starts next week, I think(? - I havenā€™t finished the Power of the Dog episode yet) but the Patreon today said that they werenā€™t including Oz: The Great and Powerful in the March Madness commentary bracket for the Wizard of Oz because itā€™ll be on the main feed.

benā€™s notes on power of the dog are great ā€œthatā€™s a really cinematic moment of peepingā€

sam raimi series will be a lot of fun

I wish theyā€™d hurry up and do Fincher

1 Like

yes! really want them to do soderbergh as well

1 Like

Would last three years and be amazing

1 Like

man, i donā€™t know how griffin does this

1 Like

Thatā€™s the exact moment I got home today and paused because I want to go over it again. I think David says something like ā€œI never know what heā€™s going to sayā€.

Iā€™ve enjoyed the Jane Campion series. When they announced it, I was bit like ā€˜Oh, Filmspotting have just done thisā€™ but Blank Check and Filmspotting are so different that it didnā€™t really matter.

I think the Power of the Dog episode (even if I havenā€™t finished it) is one of the best recent episodes. The tangent about a multiverse of characters played by Benedict Cumberbatch is hilarious, as they keep remembering different people heā€™s played.

2 Likes

haha yeah, both of their reactions to that were perfect. he has some other funny notes too. good episode, donā€™t think iā€™ve listened to a lawson one before, thought he was a good guest

iā€™ve only seen the piano and this one of campionā€™s stuff so havenā€™t listened to most of the episodes in this series. angel at my table is on netflix now i think so iā€™ll try and check that one out too

Neither do I. I think I ā€˜discoveredā€™ Box Office Mojo in something like 2008 (I think it was the weekend that Speed Racer was released because I remember it kind of tanking and was outgrossed by Whatever Happens in Vegas) and since then, have looked at it every Monday, but I canā€™t retain everything.

I wish they would do a box office game of the beginning of the Pandemic, because Iā€™ve looked at those box office movies and figures and they are truly nuts.

1 Like

Managed to get two of the five with no hints and Iā€™m delighted with that.

800 points overall

1 Like

I got 710 for today. My average score is rubbish because I had to give up on two of yesterdays impossible ones, one of which was a Tyler Perry movie that I couldnā€™t remember because he makes a lot of movies, and the other was a film I had literally never heard of called ā€˜I Can Only Imagineā€™

Iā€™m looking forward to tomorrow!

1 Like

I really thought Iā€™d be good at this but Iā€™m terrible. Couldnā€™t even do the Summer 2003 week and i watched everything that yearā€¦

boxofficega.me
May 24, 2002
:white_check_mark: 200
:white_check_mark: 200
:white_check_mark: 120
:x: 0
:x: 0
:heavy_plus_sign: 0

:trophy: 520

Started well and then took a bit of a dive

Really enjoyed the Campion series. Top of the Lake (season 1) was my favourite. Then Power of the Doggy, then The Pinanner.
Need to see Bright Star.

Thought Top of the Lake: China Girl was incredible. It was just soooo wild. Puss was such a nightmare :rofl:

Credit to you for watching them all! It was a great miniseries and the Power of The Dog ep was an all timer but I needed a break after a watching few of them. Campion is an amazing director but some of those film are harrowing!

Theyā€™ve all gone on my to watch list and Iā€™ll get to them eventually.

What was your favourite out of curiosity?