Blinkist

Anyone here use Blinkist?

For those not aware:

The basic idea of Blinkist is to take the best of new nonfiction and condense it into pieces just a minute or two long, with entire books summed up in a series of these “blinks” totaling 15 minutes or so. Titles are added regularly, harvested from best sellers, top-10 lists and user wishlists and suggestions.

Genuinely sounds like the most sociopathic bullshit app I’ve ever heard of.

Discovered it because my girlfriend recently joined a book club, and one of the attendees didn’t read the book, but instead listened to the summary on Blinkist and evangelised the concept of “reading” multiple books a day this way. I’ve been asking so many questions about this person ever since, the idea of joining a book club having only done this sounds like a shitty sitcom subject. The fact that it really happened just makes me want to know the person who thought this was a normal thing to do.

Have you heard of Blinkist?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have you used Blinkist?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Blinkist chat encouraged. Hello Mark Wahlburg.

1 Like

tl;dr

5 Likes

my old boss liked them and he forwarded us some blinks to read sometimes
pretty silly, think they’d only ever be useful to save you from reading crap pop-nonfic books that keep repeating the same points
can see why management people who want to appear knowledgeable on lots of subjects would be into them

2 Likes

Just going to assume someone who is blinkist is prejudiced against blinking.

1 Like

I’ve definitely seen TV ads for either this or something that was essentially the same. The ads used someone very very Patrick Bateman-esque.

and ma0sm is their poster child

1 Like

Got an annual subscription to it for something to listen to in the cryochamber.

1 Like

1 Like

I know just what you’re say-in.

2 Likes

The world could do with more short form content lacking in depth and nuance right now

6 Likes

While I loudly decry this I’m listening to a podcast interview with Naomi Klein/Kate Raworth/David Graeber and will happily drop references to their books that I haven’t read into future conversations.

I also would have accepted a Blink 182 joke.

1 Like

I’ve recently accidentally bought a years subscription to this. There’s a hell of a lot of cod-philosophy and pseudoscience on there, but there’s some quality content too. Lots of history and geography stuff that are a good summary of more complex events.