Blood type

I passed out on the floor of the church hall in front of all the other donors, which is definitely not what they want to see

1 Like

I had no idea! I keep telling my son to donate but as heā€™s in The Netherlands I guess not!

1 Like

When we had our blood taken for the ONS survey last week Mrs F regaled the poor surveyor with the time when she gave blood and they didnā€™t quite get the needle extraction right and it all turned a bit Hammer Horror for a few seconds.

Quick reminder that gay/bisexual men still cannot just go and donate blood, and this changes in the summer but only if youā€™re in a relationship or havenā€™t had a shag in three months. Truly archaic.

:joy::joy::joy:

Iā€™m Scottish we love the French :smiley:

1 Like

The good thing too is that it used to be a really awful painful procedure (bone marrow removal) but I believe now they can extract the cells from the blood. So itā€™s not even a (relatively) big deal to donate.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to give blood in case I find out Iā€™ve got cancer or HIV or something, would rather not know

I am A+ and I have given blood on and off since I was 17, 11 times in total. Went through my blood.co.uk account to check and ended up booking an appointment to go give again.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s a really important point. From their FAQs https://www.dkms.org.uk/en/frequently-asked-questions:

There are two methods of donating blood stem cells. 90% of the time, the method of donation is peripheral blood stem cell collection. In this method, a thin sterile needle takes blood from one of the donorā€™s arms and a machine extracts the blood stem cells from it. The donorā€™s blood is then returned to them through their other arm. This is an outpatient procedure that is usually completed in 4-6 hours.

Bone marrow is used as the method of donation for the remaining 10% of the time. Bone marrow is not extracted from the spine, but from the pelvic bone using a special thin sterile needle

1 Like

Might be worth looking again. I can always get an appointment for 7pm at my local donation centre, which I can manage after work (obvs donā€™t know anything about yr shifts or commute, but they do seem to try to be accommodating for workers)

Iā€™d had this a couple of times (long term veggie, been donating regularly for 10+ years). I started taking an iron tablet daily, and I havenā€™t had any iron level problems for a couple of years now.

Iā€™ve been donating regularly for almost ten years I think, and have been a veggie for 3 or 4 years now I think. The last time I went in December I ended up having low iron. 135 was the threshold, with 125 being a ā€˜low normalā€™ where you just couldnā€™t donate for three months. But as I snuck under at 125 theyā€™ve said I canā€™t donate for 12 months now. Unless I get another blood test from my GP at some point and it ends up being okay. Have been having some iron liquid stuff recently, but maybe I should go for a tablet version instead as I donā€™t like the taste! Trying to actively have some more of the good iron providing veggies now.

They gave me this leaflet like ā€œso ur a low iron veggie, eat these foodsā€, and it was basically my whole diet. donā€™t have a choice but to take tablets now!

1 Like

Which oneā€™s the red one? Iā€™m that one I think.

This.

Smashing those iron tablets (when I remember)

I always check for appointments and there is never anything available near me inā€¦London

You might be better off with the liquid version- it has vitamin c and b12 in and is helpful with absorption and is less harsh on the stomach. Not suitable for vegans though because theyā€™re honey based.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got low iron levels and canā€™t take iron supplements so would almost certainly fail the iron test. Also have shit veins and have a lot of trouble with blood tests and the like, so theyā€™d never get enough out of me anyway.

Reading everyone elseā€™s comments makes me feel better. Iā€™ve always felt well guilty for never donating blood but justified it that as I faint at literally everything (dentists, jabs, stressful doctor experiences) they wouldnā€™t want the hassle. Seems like thatā€™s true

1 Like

Iā€™m up to 23 donations now, really upped the numbers when I was doing platelets.

Does anyone know if donating counts as essential travel? Iā€™d have to get a train into Manchester which Iā€™m not overly keen on. On the other hand, Seabrook crisps and biscuitsā€¦