Blu-Rays never really took off did that they.

5 Likes

Oh yeah forgot about HD DVD

might get on this today

2 Likes

Microsoft sold this as a separate accessory for the Xbox 360, the state :smiley:

4 Likes

I got bought one as a joke with Shrek the third and I pronounce you Chuck and Larry by colleagues shorttly after joining my current job. Goes to show how well they understood my niche interests in such a short time

Also the format is so shit. It’s really prone to disc rot even tho a lot of 1980s CDs still play fine

1 Like

Kinda want to get this now

1 Like

Weird how so many of us (sweeping generalisation) have bought into the idea that it’s just fine to continue subscribing to stuff to watch films and that.

See also music.

3 Likes

It’s the only way that I can really afford to consume it tbh.

3 Likes

Yeah v fair point…

It’s part of that whole subscription serfdom thing where you don’t own your leisure materials any more than you own your Office 365 subscription but if you want to keep enjoying things or making money you have to pay each month for the privilege, and you can’t just take your shit elsewhere because you’re tied in. It’s insidious as hell, Google the phrase (with a massive, massive caveat for some super-shitty conspiracy stuff) ‘You will own nothing and you will be happy’ for more on this hellscape

I am very much in this bracket too because like I can afford to buy films on DVD, but I can afford my Netflix sub.

2 Likes

What does that have to do with blu ray?

do you remember adverts for DVDs?

as in, the DVD format itself

• yes
  • no

0 voters

fucking hell, this is the one I remember

I haven’t seen this for about 20 years

edit: think this youtube link is better cos the sound is pitched down haha

3 Likes

My earliest DVD memories are being at my friend’s house once, and both of our entire immediate families all gathered up around their computer marvelling at the DVD-ROM features on The Matrix

that follow the white rabbit stuff

1 Like

Aren’t PS5 discs and Xbox Series X discs blu ray format? Would say that counts as a success if so.

1 Like

can’t believe @aboynamedgoo hasn’t gone full stats on this

2 Likes

Never bought a single blu-ray in my life.

I watched Eraserhead on Blu-Ray last night - 'kin 'ell lads, that opening bit with the alien landscape and the weird dust motes and the sound design

mwah

3 Likes

Watching a Blu ray is always more satisfying than streaming

I will stream over DVD though, assuming what I want to watch is available

2 Likes

I got my blue velvet Blu ray out to watch on Saturday but decided it might be too scary :mushroom:

1 Like