Bluey

Yep. That one pretty much exactly replicates my experience of being a dad to young children

1 Like

Christ, you’d want to put Bing up for adoption if he was your child

only joking

1 Like

I like Bing and his rebellious ways, but there is no parent on this earth who could be that zen the whole time, you’d crack eventually. Every TV parent makes me feel like a total shitebag to be fair, I don’t know if that’s the point or what but they’re all so calm and attentive and I’m sat here during half term being like, “No we can’t play Mario right now I am drowning in work arrrgh”

[Drowning in work/posting here erk]

1 Like

Flop is literally a flannel though.

5 Likes

Just sat with children and watched an episode where they build the swing seat in the garden - was not prepared for that ending, profound stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Supposedly the main driver behind the show was a desire to make something like Peppa Pig where the dad wasn’t a deadshit.

4 Likes

They’re not wrong

3 Likes

Blue Heelers also look like this
so there’s definitely some plastic surgery going on too

4 Likes

They’re broadly fair observations, though not particularly insightful.

The stuff mentioned is hardly specific to Bluey, is it? There’s any number of kids TV shows (most, even?), and TV shows in general that those points could apply to. TV normalises idealised worlds and scenarios pretty much as a standard device. And, as even that post identifies, Bluey has loads of travails and storylines that transcend and aren’t related to the Heeler’s wealth.

There’s always The Rubbish World of Dave Spud if it’s that much of a botheration. Award-winning animation with absolutely top-drawer voice talent, Grimsby-based, set in a tower block. Sack Bluey off, watch that, job done.

I mean, their wealth obviously helps them. And it’s obviously gonna be discouraging if you look at it a certain way. That’s a big and wide society problem, though.

1 Like

Stripe is closer to that innit.

1 Like

The important thing is my excellent response to this being posted on Twitter

2 Likes

How old are people’s kids who are watching this? I’m basically trying to work out when me and the little one can get involved

1 Like

Despite my best efforts, my kids were quite resistant to this for some reason until they were 3 and 6 when something clicked and now its a firm favourite with the whole family.

1 Like

My daughter only just turned 2 and has been watching it for the last 6 months

2 Likes

They shouldn’t be showing blueys on Disney+

The cryogenically frozen robot brain of Walt Disney will be absolutely livid

1 Like

M wasnt bothered at all until failry recently and now she’s obsessed and she’s 6

2 and 4, and they both love it

Eldest got straight into it two years ago, when it first came to CBeebies, at just gone 4yo. Youngest would’ve been 1½ at that point, and kinda watched along, but probably only really started ‘getting it’ a year or so after that, at ~2½.

E liked the colours from about 6 months. Loved Bingo and McKenzie by 2. Can follow most of it and asks for it at 2 and a half.
Acts out the entirety of Charades and Sleepytime.

When i get a bit down on it sometimes, i just remind myself how lucky we are that he hates Peppa and Duggee.

I quite like Peppa (whilst acknowledging it’s flaws).

But hating Duggee? :hushed:

3 Likes