Blur - Wembley 8 July

Just announced a comeback gig at Wembley stadium. Support is slowthai, self esteem and jockstrap. Tickets go on sale this Friday.

Interesting support. Can’t imagine how Jockstrap will work at wemberley

6 Likes

Probably just stick to having my very happy memories of the Hyde Park Magic Whip show and let this reunion pass me by, unless they crop at Glastonbury

2 Likes

Same day as Springsteen at Hyde Park isn’t it?

1 Like

Yep. Basically immediately prices out anyone who wants to come from a different city and needs to stay over.

1 Like

Really, isn’t London quite big?

2 Likes

One of the glasto headliners?

I had that thought but if you already had Arctic Monkeys do you really want another “proper” band.

1 Like

Yes but it’s surprising how one big gig can push up hotel prices, so two massive ones (plus whatever other events happen that weekend) during a time of nice weather is going to be horrible.

I had famiy come visit during one of the BST Hyde Park weekends which we didn’t even go to, and they paid something like £250 for a fucking Travelodge in zone 3.

4 Likes

Anecdotally but as someone who travels for work regularly, London hotel prices have gone absolutely wild since the summer. I think it’s a combination of the tourist trade roaring back to life and energy costs.

(I also recently booked hotels for next March’s Hold Steady shows - same hotel, booked the same amount of time in advance, was ~£70/night this year, but ~£100/night next year.)

3 Likes

Yeah, pretty much what I’d guessed based on friends/family coming down. I’ve had to put people up in hotels in, like, Twickenham because anywhere in zone 1-4 is through the roof.

Possibly, they should be part of the conversation. Live nation are saying Wembley is the only uk date.

what ever came of the Coxon allegations?

only reason I ask is I’m kinda surprised to see Self Esteem on there

9 Likes

Going to be a big strain on public transport too given that anyone who wants to go from Wembley/Hyde Park back to east London will be using the same stations. Green Park and Bond Street in particular will be chaos.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was talking about this last week. I can only guess that because it has never been reported other than twitter/reddit then it isn’t properly “out there”. None of my friends were aware and a couple would consider themselves big blur fans. It came up because they saw Graham at a Q &A with matt everitt to promote his new book.

1 Like

That is really good to know as I’ll be coming from Norwich, probably will need to get a hotel.

Annoying, as my wife hasn’t seen Blur and really wants to, so this would be a good Christmas present for her, but I’m already going to Springsteen that day.

Seems like a bad clash. Couldn’t they have offset by one day or something?

1 Like

Surely they’ll do more shows?

1 Like

Yeah, they would need to limber up. Last time they reunited they did a run off smaller shows so I would expect that, but maybe in europe? Dunno.

2 Likes

They’ve got the ol’
“Only UK performance of 2023” but I’m hoping that’s ‘so far’? Every other reunion has come with a handful of small-ish shows. Can’t really afford £120 a ticket right before xmas so may have to keep my fingers crossed for more announced closer to.

Or rely on Twickets closer to…

2 Likes