Bon Iver 22, A Million

Really?!? That’s the line that made me switch off the album and never return :nauseated_face:

Waiting for the physical release like the dopey dinosaur I am, but I have very much enjoyed what I’ve heard so far. It seems even more deconstructed than 22, and yet that incredible voice and those snippets of astonishing beauty always shine through even when he’s at his most obtuse. Been listening to Emma, Bon Iver and 22 a bit lately, and while I give him some flack for the word salad, it really has been a hallmark throughout. It just proves lyrics don’t have to make sense, it’s just about feeling (as any Cocteaus fan will know).

4 Likes

I like the new album. Feels a slight retread of the boldness of 22, but still a consistently enjoyable artist imo.

2 Likes

Liking it more than I was expecting too tbh. Nothing has really stuck in my head after a few listens but they’ve been enjoyable. It is effectively a combination of the last two albums but well executed and enough of a difference from either to justify its existence.

Dunno why I feel the need to compare them, but everything he’s done on a more glitchy experimental edge has easily eclipsed James Blake’s stuff… and thats should be JB’s MO. Possibly because Justin’s singing isn’t insufferable.

1 Like

I know it’s a ‘prefer the earlier stuff’ statement but I think James Blake’s first material promised so much that it would always be a letdown. Justin Vernon breathes so much life into his electronic work, JB sucks it out at this point.

5 Likes

The Wayne Rooney of post-dubstep. Promised so much, so early on, was so prodigious, that even though he’s gone onto a perfectly respectable career, has become one of the most recognisable names in music and worked with all the big stars, you can’t help but feel underwhelmed.

10 Likes

This is a perfect analogy.

Have actually really connected with Assume Form - previously had the same opinion of him (preferred the EPs etc.) but I think Assume Form is really great, and has been overlooked a bit. It’s a grower so understandably people may have dismissed after a couple of listens based on last couple of meandering outings

1 Like

Justin’s vocal performance on RABi (last track) is incredible and one of my favourite things about the album which I’m enjoying a lot overall

1 Like

listened to all four albums tonight out in the garden. scary how ingrained all of those records are with such specific times and places for me. Can’t decide between him and sufjan, don’t make me do it.

1 Like

Sufjan

5 Likes

Does this include overgrown?

Probably comparing them cuz they’ve worked together a few times?

I know this thread has died down in activity due to the album coming out digitally a while ago, but I’ve only just caught up and my god, it’s really good; a much better, more consistent blend of the experimental and the songcraft. Salem is the best thing he’s written since Blindsided… Or maybe even just the best thing he’s ever written.

2 Likes

Arena tour meh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2OSNbRlbb_/?igshid=4jz0bvb93far

Bet it will be expensive and I’m far more curious to see the support. Probably shouldn’t go probably will and moan about it.

Another excuse to visit Barcelona. Hope he doesn’t cancel the whole lot like last time. Blackpool ?

Ffs he’s that big now? Uncool

Don’t get the surprise, he’s been doing arenas since the second album

1 Like

Plus it sounds like the current show is very much designed for arenas, and sounds like it’ll be pretty great (https://www.spin.com/2019/07/bon-iver-tour-documentary-autumn-new-album-watch/)