Book thread 2018 📚

really want to read this one. the only one of hers I’ve read is the history of walking which I liked a lot

wanted to read some more Ursula K. Le Guin so started reading earthsea but all this wizard school stuff is giving me bad vibes man. worried someone will peek over my shoulder and think i’m reading harry potter :scream:

Nah they’re the best books ever written

how long does the wizard school last?

Until you graduate…now shut up young Potter.

first half of first book I think

I read Hope over Trump’s inauguration period which made me feel better

Do you want a copy of The Dispossessed?

The second book, tombs of atuan, is the best and has 0 wizard school in it. Can be read standalone if you really can’t stand the first one.

Otherwise left hand of darkness is a brilliant book with not a wizard to be seen anywhere

Interesting set of polls. The images in my head are always kind of like a dream or memory, rather than something I can recall every last detail of. I think it’s really interesting thinking back to moments in books, and it’s strange how vivid the memory of a particular location will be (vivid without being able to actually recall and specify actual details).

It’s my favourite thing about literature tbh, being able to think back to a really clear memory of a place I’ve never been to.

And I’m not sure if I answered the last poll totally correctly. It’s a tough 'un

was reading that blog post about aphantasia,

https://www.facebook.com/notes/blake-ross/aphantasia-how-it-feels-to-be-blind-in-your-mind/10156834777480504

don’t think i’ve got all that (i can definitely picture my family’s face and sort of picture a beach, or at least a photo of a beach), but i’ve got a pretty rubbish mind’s eye. it’s really interesting to think that some people are having an automatically generated internal film projected as they read.

was wondering how it effects the sort of things i like to read - i find it really calming and beautiful when an author describes a character’s physical actions, especially working with their hands. think because that’s something i can easily conceptualise to myself and feel rather than see.

also like it when things are deliberately very hard to picture - like ‘the brief and frightening reign of phil’ by george saunders where all the characters are abstract shapes, or ‘the city and the city’ by china mieville has been in my head a lot because of the tv series. that dissonance is really appealling and i wonder if it’s because i’m always sort of cloudy with whats happening physically.

actually lincoln in the bardo by george saunders is an interesting one - i can picture lincoln striding around but then all the ghosts are these weird abstractions, like a man with 12 faces and hands or the guy who has a six foot erection.

just babbling m8

oh i have a strong sense of place too actually, although it’s mostly the feeling of a place rather than what it looks like.

i think i’m coming down with the flu again.

can you all picture a beach

• i can see a beach that i’ve invented
  • i can see a beach that i’ve been to
  • i can see a beach that i know from a photograph/media
  • vague beach-ish thing
  • can’t see a beach

0 voters

i’ll persevere with the first one, at least it’s short!

As a side point always loved the addition of K in her name, in case you got her confused with one of the other 25 famous Ursula Le Guins

Finished this @roastthemonaspit I thought some of it was predictable but it didn’t distract from my enjoyment. Really liked Alice. I wonder if the end spells a sequel or not? 99p well spent

I love her k. It was a Sign that you are properly asserting yourself with the other Sci fi big hitters - Arthur C Clarke, Philip K Dick etc. Ian Banks used his middle M as a signifier that he was writing proper Sci fi in his culture novels.

I’ve never heard it called that before :wink:

/Blackadder

Finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor over the course of about 4 days. Was a good read, but man I did not know that it was going to be so unrelentingly bleak. Might leave it a while before reading history stuff again, but it was very well written.

Recently finished reading “In The Dust of This Planet” by Eugene Thacker which was self-described as a book about the end of the world but, I kind of saw it as more of an attempt to grapple with the idea of nothingness, or rather thinking less from an anthropomorphic about an increasingly unthinkable world.

It was pretty tough going since a lot of the language is quite academic, but explored some interesting themes, I actually found a lot of the stuff about mysticism more interesting than the nihilism.

It also worried Glenn Beck enough for him to do a segment on it.

John Darnielle - Universal Harvester.
It had some potential, and occasionally worked, but it’s mostly pretty dreary and infuriating. focuses largely on the extremely mundane details of daily life in rural/small town Iowa, and everytime something interesting is about to happen cuts it off, and goes back to tedium, maybe referring to the interesting events later, and mostly only obliquely. bleh. yeah it’s also a meditation on on melancholia and grief, whatever

Daniil Kharms - Today I wrote Nothing.
thought this was brilliant. he’s a 1930s soviet avant garde short story writer and poet, I guess. it’s really silly and funny nonsense with flashes of violence and is mostly free from traditional notions of plot, character, logic, sense or whatever else.

Shirley Jackson - Dark Tales
really good. she didn’t like the stifling domesticity of 1950s american suburbia/small towns much, did she?

Lord Dunsany - the Sword of Welleran
more short stories. this is like lyrical, quite baroque fantasy from the 1910s, I think he was loved by Ursula Le Guin, Lovecraft, Tolkein and load of others probably. It flits between being atmospheric and tedious. I liked it much more than I thought I would though