Book thread 2018 📚

Oh man, Geogre Saunders is pretty great huh? Kind of reminds me of DFW but more character focused. Think I want to read more short stories this year. Just read Semplica-Girl diaries which is online if anyone’s interested in checking him out.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/10/15/the-semplica-girl-diaries

I did and really enjoyed it.

I just got into the characters

Have read mixed reviews though.

Nowhere near as good as middlesex though which is incredible

Reading Look At Me, I’m impressed that a novel from 2001 has a character justifying his kind of Orwellian online enterprise as being about the freedom to express and connect and all that.

Very slight irkage at the fact that so many of these book covers exist when the Vanessa Bell originals are staggeringly beautiful and probably my favourite book covers generally

The Vanessa Bell ones are incredible, don’t think I’ve ever seen those before. Quite fancy reading To the Lighthouse again now.

I’m ashamed to say I’ve only read Mrs. Dalloway. Something to rectify, that.

think To The Lighthouse is one of the best novels I’ve read but don’t think I can ever handle reading it again tbh

Yeah, it’s been about 10 years since I read it and my memory of it is as one of the best things I’ve ever read. Feel like I’m ready to give it another read.

Have been hitting a great sweet spot between fiction and non-fiction recently, roughly alternating between the two. It’s definitely easier to read two at a time this way as well.

Just ordered this book which looks right up my alley. Would never have come to my attention if it wasn’t for this horrific review in the Times:

I’ve just finished reading Days Without End by Sebastian Barry - really beautiful and lyrical book. Felt like a Terrence Malick film in book form - violence, conflict and love narrated by a man pondering the nature of being human. Recommended!

Would you recommend it as a next step for someone who has only read Mrs. Dalloway (of Woolf’s canon, not generally obvs)?

yeah it’s as good a place as any i guess. as long as you’re in the mood for something a bit hard-going, it’s much more dense than mrs dalloway.

Just finished this, love short story collections like this where each story is centred around the same theme.

@dingaling - finished Middlesex today, loved it. :smiley:

Just finished Joseph Heller’s Closing Time, in pretty much exactly the same vain as Catch 22 so if you like you’ll live this.

Starting DeLillo - White Noise in a sec.

Same. I’m back to trying my fiction for reading at home / non-fiction for reading when out (on the train or whatever).

Have this on my kindle and never got around to starting it. Might read it next.

I loved that book

Reading Artemis by Andy Weir. Really liked The Martian, but this wisecracking ham fest feels really lazily/hastily written specifically to be made into a film.

Mark Fisher’s unexpected articulate and academic rage at call centres has emerged as one particular highlight amongst many of Capitalist Realism.