Book thread 2018 📚

It’s not actually his best one but it’s an excellent use of hardboiled characters.

Justin Lee Collins? I actually can’t think what JLC stands for

I think lines like “it seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in" are untouchable - Chandler is really funny.

Sorry, John le Carre

DO IT

Ah, then I need to recommend Dave Hutchinson’s Europe In Autumn. It’s set in a different Europe, where Schengen has broken down and the continent has disintegrated into loads of microstates, polities and fiefdoms. The lead character is a chef who gets involved with a set of mysterious couriers who carry things and people across borders other people would rather they really didn’t. Loads of espionage and tradecraft, lots of politicians and big players sacrificing pawns to further their aims, all good Le Carre stuff, with just a hint of SF (nothing too outre)

Good review here that covers a lot of what I said above but better. http://theafterword.co.uk/europe-in-autumn/

thanks for the recommendations everyone. i’ve made a couple of purchases and will add the others to a wish list

It’s on my list now.

You might also be into The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. From what I remember it was a bit road trip/ chaotic/ South or Central American.

I’m trying to remember a book I read ages ago.

To my memory it was about a world where there’s a drug which pregnant women can take to determine the sex of their child, and then the slight collapse of society after too many men are born.

Does that ring any bells? It wasn’t particularly sci fi it was more an exploration of sex and gender I think.

“Moose Molloy was as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of fairy cake” is one my favourites, along with, describing the woman at the door of Marlowe’s office: “It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”

“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.”

Have you read Death on Credit? I didn’t find it quite as captivating but it’s still got some of the same magic.

Read the first short story in Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O’Connor. I like it a lot so far: that whole languid bleak Americana thing fits quite well with the kinda stuffy heat this evening, and it has that tone of almost cruel bitterness that reminds me a bit of Shirley Jackson.

I think the first one (The Big Sleep?) is the only one I’ve read and I really enjoyed it.

I recall having to Google ‘hushaphone’ as someone in the police is using one. Turned out to be a special device you speak into that stops anyone else hearing what you’re saying.

My 2018 reading challenge - 8/30. Ffs. I am bad at reading.

Just finished The water Cure and loved it. Going to leave it a week or two and then read it again now that I KNOW.

I was warned and skipped that tale.

Good shout!

Reaall good wasn’t it?