Hello, I see we’ve had one of these for the music board for a few weeks. Think it’s about time we had one in place for film/book/tv lists
read nearly 50 books this year and none of them were from 2016. where do people get their recommendations?
last years lists?
personally waiting for the only one I pay any attention to (John Waters’ in artforum)
More Guardian book lists here
Also, Cahiers du cinéma’s top 10:
- Toni Erdmann, directed by Maren Ade
- Elle, directed by Paul Verhoeven
- The Neon Demon, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
- Aquarius, directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho
- Ma Loute/Slack Bay, directed by Bruno Dumont
- Julieta, directed by Pedro Almodóvar
- Rester Vertical/Staying Vertical, directed by Alain Guiraudie
- La ley del mercado, directed by Stéphane Brizé
- Carol, directed by Todd Haynes
- Le bois dont les rêves sont faits, directed by Claire Simon
Wrong link for the Guardian:
Krisha was meant to be out here today, but doesn’t actually appear to be screening anywhere! =(
yeah i suppose carol was the best if it can be counted as this year
don’t know how people can read new books. so risky. wouldn’t want to go deep into something and it turns out it’s rubs.
it was last year
annoys me a bit when people release lists where none of the films have been released yet
NY Times’ 10 Best Books of 2016
• The Association of Small Bombs By Karan Mahajan
• The North Water By Ian McGuire
• The Underground Railroad By Colson Whitehead
• The Vegetarian By Han Kang. Translated by Deborah Smith.
• War and Turpentine By Stefan Hertmans. Translated by David McKay.
• At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails By Sarah Bakewell
• Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right By Jane Mayer
• Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City By Matthew Desmond
• In the Darkroom By Susan Faludi
• The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between By Hisham Matar
NPR have a big interactive guide, too