Books that you've read lately

It’s the best thing I’ve read for ages but fuck me, if you think it’s about to get harrowing you’re in for nothing yet. So. Fucking. Bleak.

*about

Finished The Goldfinch last week. It was decent, pretty fun, and I absolutely loved Boris. It seemed to me that Donna Tartt enjoyed writing it. Would love to see the painting. Heard it is coming to Edinburgh in November. Might pop back up for a gander.

Quarter of the way through The Likeness by Tana French now.

2 Likes

I’m avoiding this book for that reason.

Shortly after the girl was born I decided to read A Journal of the Plague Year and there’s a whole section I had to skip about babies and young children dying from the plague. Really hadn’t expected it.

That book was so close to being ruined by that fucking absurdly long section after the book had basically ended. I like Donna Tartt a lot but fuck me, less is more sometimes.

Can we use the spoiler or rather the hide details to discuss this?

Summary

What bit do you mean? I thought it all wrapped up pretty quickly, didn’t it? Mainly I had issues with how the main character was so passive throughout the story. And the fact that in the opening she states she’s going back 11 years but the book only covers 9 years, meaning when we arrived back in the present I was completely not expecting it.

Err… Either I fucked that summary or it doesn’t work for me :frowning:

The whole fucking rambling philosophical bullshit after the Amsterdam sections that just goes on and fucking on

1 Like

Yes it was a touch heavy-handed
Powered through that last page or so as, iirc, I needed a wee.

1 Like

About 10 pages away from finishing Choke by chuck palaniuk. Always hate finishing a book that im enjoying, like i prevent myself from finishing it so it never actually ends.

1 Like

Imagining your bookshelves now full of books with the final few pages torn out :smiley:

Okay that’s odd. If I quote it the summary hide thing thing is working…

It made Loui cry after reading it!

Yeah I had no idea it was a film really - all I did was go on a reddit page of best thrillers, this had a lot of votes and said it was full of twists so will give it a go then watch after

Read a LOAD of David Mitchell books lately because I liked The Boner Cocks.

And that’s what I do - just read everything by an author if I like one book.

They’re all good but they’re all basically the same. I’ve been passing them directly to my wife when done then she rolls her eyes when she realises its another series of discrete stories connected on some cosmic level (or what-fucking-ever) and reads them.

I also started reading something called “end of the world running club” just now because it was cheap on kindle and it’s ok. I guess.

I know you did nothing to get it but I really like your pink z logo, Dave.

Didn’t I ruffers? Didn’t I?

(no)

1 Like

Just started reading the Outrun last night - seems really good so far. I’m on a bit of a travel book binge at the moment and have 60 Degrees North by Malachy Tallack lined up next.

yeah i was thinking of copying it, could get confusing though

Tried reading V by Thomas Pynchon while on holiday a couple of weeks back, thought it would be a good place to start. If it is then there’s no hope because it lost me. On Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell now, it’s great.

Oh right, the film of Presumed Innocent was a BIG thing when it came out, in part because Harrison Ford had gone for this shaved all over hair cut and was playing the ambiguous main character rather than the obvious hero (I guess the Mosquito Coast was never big enough to sit high with people). Also pre-Sixth Sense, films having twists as a major aspect of the plot seemed to be a bit of a rarity?

Anyway, I really enjoyed it at the cinema. I found it for free on Netflix or something recently and watched it but honestly it was quite boring without the tension.