Books that you've read lately

books

Yesterday’s charity shop purchase #2

Charity shop books are the best! What’s so magical about this Christian?!

Oh cool! Didn’t know there was a Kubrick connection there.

And a band co-opted the title for themselves a few years back too, Clem Burke from Blondie and Cyril Jordan from the Flamin’ Groovies.
http://www.dirtywaterrecords.co.uk/magicchristian/

I seem to remember the film being quite entertaining. it’s extremely 60s. has an absurd cast.

I think Blue Movie was the only novel of his I’ve read, and I cannot remember anything about it

Can anyone recommend really well written books in first person present tense? Thanks!

One Hundred Years of Solitude is brilliant. It made me feel I was living in Macondo, and that I was part of the Buendía family. One of my favs.

I’m finishing Memoirs of a Geisha right now, and it’s the most boring thing I’ve ever read. It feels longer than the fucking Infinite Jest. I can’t wait to read those last words and to close it and to put it in my shelf and to never take it out.

I just finished The Sellout.

Aside from the first thirty pages or so, I thought it was genuinely excellent. It savages a lot of stereotypes and philosophies without geting all moral. A black-hearted satire in several different ways.

Brilliant brilliant collection of books. Was a bit baffled the whole way through as they were part of a guardian Sci fi supplement years ago and they’re not Sci fi at all. Kept thinking “when are the aliens coming?” superb books though and I dark hate historical fiction.

@McGarnagle thnx dude, this book is very fun indeed. David Hartley’s a character isn’t he? Just got to the bit where he wanks the guy off in the shed

In seriousness though, a very good read so far. To be frank, the writing veers wildly between being tremendous and really rather clunky—sometimes within one sentence—which I am finding a little strange, but the history and setting etc. etc. mean it remains top drawer.

Sold

Yeah, that’s a massively unexpected way of dealing with a situation isn’t it?!

I think the descriptions of the moors and the parts from Hartley’s POV are probably the most interesting/well written, but there are definitely some clunky bits of prose in there. It’s a remarkable bit of history though isn’t it? One of the biggest pieces of financial fraud in British history but not widely known at all.

Once I’d finished it and looked a little more into the author a few people were saying that his best novel so far is Beastings, so looking forward to cracking into that when I get the opportunity.

Also, apparently he’s got another one coming out in September. That’s fast work.

Booker Prize shortlist

4321 by Paul Auster (US) (Faber & Faber)

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund (US) (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)

Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (UK-Pakistan) (Hamish Hamilton)

Elmet by Fiona Mozley (UK) (JM Originals)

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (US) (Bloomsbury Publishing)

Autumn by Ali Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton)

Just finished reading It for the first time. Mixed feelings although I enjoyed it overall.

It isn’t scary in any of its guises. Every scene it’s in feels like an overly hammed-up 50s horror flick. Conversely, the (many) depictions of bullying are some of the most viscerally disturbing passages I’ve ever read and made my skin crawl. Not sure if this is a deliberate plot device (humans are the scariest monsters), a weakness in King’s writing, or a weakness in my imagination (with respect to It).

It’s the same in the Dark Tower, but King writing about race comes off as such a dated example of ‘woke’ white man. Also, and I know it’s just of its time, but some of Richie’s voices in 1985 read back pretty badly.

And Bev… So I get that budding sexuality is a very real part of that portion of childhood, but the number of descriptions of her body is way too high and made me feel quite uncomfortable. And obviously that scene which seems straight-up creepy and unnecessary.

As is so often the case, King is in desperate need of a good editor. It’s such a trope of his to spend pages reeling off the fates of utterly incidental fringe characters (or randomers introduced purely for the point of dying unpleasantly) and he’s as guilty as ever of that here.

BUT I fucking love his writing when it works. And the 50% of it that works here is sublimely creepy.

There is very little human relationship in the book I found. Think that is where it falls down and loses what could have been much more powerful.

The villain is so obvious and it all just gets predictable.

I felt exactly the same as you…unsure why it gets such great reviews.

anyone read any of these?

Just finished Crash by Ballard. Was ok. Saw the film as a teen I guess. Can’t remember that really. Bit heavy. Took a while to read considering its length. I suppose the whole autoeroticism ‘joke’ is made by everyone who reads it?

The word pubis is used a lot.

Not yet, but I want to read Lincoln in the Bardo and Autumn at some point, and I should read History of Wolves seeing as I work for the publisher!