Borderline is closing

Saw Fenne Lily here a few months back, she was ace.

I’ve actually been back twice in the last few months for the first time in around 12 years or so, last time was on Tuesday.

Both gigs were with the nephew, and both were his favourite two gigs that I’ve taken him to. So he’ll be disappointed.

The sight lines did seem better than I remembered.

1 Like

I enjoyed them more in Southampton a week earlier, but it was a fun to go to such a gig with so many DiSers.

1 Like

That’s a real shame. Had lots of very fun evenings there

I saw TTNG there, maybe the only other gig than Hotelier I’ve seen there… what band were you in?

should surprise nobody full stop

ute! we were main support I think, ended up crowdsurfing and then getting super drunk.

1 Like

The Social is there too. I forget which street it’s on but near Soho. A very under used venue.

Their adverts, which were ubiquitous in the back of Q magazine and the like during the 90s, used to fascniate me as a kid growing up in middle-of-nowhere North Wales who had never once been to London. I specifically remember seeing one for Whiskeytown in 1997 and thinking what a terrible name that was and wondering who the hell went to gigs like this.

Ended up moving to London and having some amazing nights out in there.

The Metro, The Astorias, Madamme JoJo’s, 12 Bar…it was only a matter of time really wasn’t it?

1 Like

and also threatened with closure.

So if they’re closing Borderline by 31 August where will Press Club be?

No idea, but I imagine their label/booking agent are on it

Little Portland Street I think? Just north of Oxford Street anyway.

1 Like

been twice, first time was The Swellers, good gig

second time was Hotelier which was a great event but musically i’d enjoyed the set in Kingston more

really bad news

Amazed it lasted this long with its location, shame it’s closing.

Only went once, but it was a memorable visit

Central London is pretty much a venue wasteland now then. Such a shame it’s just being developed into nothingness.

Sad news indeed. Most recent gig there was a thunderously brilliant Rolo Tomassi and Conjurer gig towards the back end of 2017. Also remember the nearby Astorias fondly. :frowning:

1 Like

Never been to Borderline, but of course it’s always sad news when a live music venue closes.

Out of interest, did they ever reopen Madame Jojo’s?

No it’s completely boarded up.

The Social has been saved, which is great.

Heaven is another central London venue that’s still going strong. Obviously sad to see The Borderline closing, but it was always an awful, awful room.

1 Like

I think/hope Heaven is slightly different to venues like the Borderline because it has such a strong standing and popular club in the LGBTQ community – hopefully that’ll mean it’s OK for the future.

I’m not a huge fan of the Scala but I do often wonder how safe that is considering Kings Cross is being thoroughly developed at the moment.

1 Like