Boxing - 2019

New thread for the new year.

Showing a replay of linares - loma on box nation atm. Hadn’t seen it before, absolutely ridiculous performance, makes linares look like a plodder.

Did we do a fight/round/fighter of 2018? If not, feel free to do so below

makes linares look like a plodder

mcnulty hand wobble gif on that. Ive got a big soft spot for Jorge but I bloody loved that fight and had it fairly even up to the stoppage. definitely in contention for fight of the year.

would probably go usyk/briedis foty though.
inoue sniping that dude for kooty.
fury wilder 12 for roty, although the last round of gassiev dorticos really sticks in my mind for pure sillinesss value.
struggling on fighter of the year - usyk has it wrapped up on records, but I had him losing a razor close one to briedis so idk if I should give it him. probably mikey if not usyk.

Yeah I’m exaggerating a bit (a lot?) but it felt like linares was still in it thanks mainly to his size and reach advantage, the difference in speed is ridiculous, especially given how good linares is

yeah that’s defo fair. was an extraordinary performance from him.

Admittedly I don’t watch ITV very much at all but I had no idea the Pacquiao-Broner fight wasn’t on PPV last night until I heard about it on 5 Live this afternoon.

Groves has retired. Was there when he won his World title at Bramall Lane. Squeezed the absolute most out of his ability, had some massive nights and paydays, only lost to absolutely top tier guys, and got out at 30 with everything intact.

can you stop a fight if one of the boxers face turns into potatoes? (re: cheeseman)

what a fucking hideous spectacle.

Hope Crolla is getting a fair whack for fighting Loma

Fair play to him for chasing the fight. Can’t fault his desire for getting in with the best, just hope he doesn’t look like too much of a mug in there.

The interview with Kerry Kayes on this podcasts’s brilliant…

(https://player.fm/series/5-live-boxing-with-costello-bunce-1445177/groves-retires-hugh-mcilvanney-and-a-cornerman-masterclass)

I listened to this earlier in the week - really great stuff. Little tidbits like the American sanctioning bodies never checking what the cornermen are using to apply to cuts was astounding to hear.

Sounds like it was a popular feature so hopefully they’ll get some more of the guys doing the less glamorous jobs in boxing on to give insights into how things really go down in the thick of it.

Found a decent stream for tonight, DM me if anyone’s interested

I stumped up the 20 quid out of pure laziness.

that’s a lot of hair for a lightweight, does it count towards the scales or can someone hold it up for him? has anyone ever had to shave/have a haircut to make weight?

Given the lengths most fighters go to to drain down in weight having humungous dreads is a bold choice. Combined with the beard Douglas could probably fight at featherweight after a night with a razor.

Big fan of Douglas’ cutman’s vaseline on the top of his hat and swabs in the band look.

looks like homer’s nacho hat

State of stiverne. This shouldn’t last long

Shame, I was quite interested to see Joyce step up a wee bit. Didn’t realise how much Stiverne had given up.