Boycotts

(we would sometimes do that too TBF but it was nice to have the option)

1 Like

Anyone that’s sponsored Liverpool

4 Likes

Well yeah, living in a tourist hotspot means the same thing is kind of happening here, and a house we looked at buying was bought by people who then put it on AirBnb, affordable housing is non-existent here because of second homes etc. so like I said, I do get the massive downsides, just saying that hotels aren’t a particularly equivalent alternative to using the spare room option or whatever.

1 Like

BFAWU DEEZ NUTS

2 Likes

To make it clear, I am not and am never talking about spare rooms.

It’s whole properties, which we both know is the majority of their business model.

1 Like

Tbf I never go anywhere anyway so it’s a moot argument…

7 Likes

Byron Burger I think is the only place where if it’s an option I decide to go somewhere else, because I was disgusted with that immigrant roundup stunt they did.

Generally I am just an accessory to big capitalism though

3 Likes

There was a lot of DISCOURSE over the past few days about the Kelloggs boycott in the US thanks to this tweet:

3 Likes

“I want to stay in an authentic neighbourhood”

That neighbourhood

3 Likes

Bit of an outdated list, but you get the idea:

Also just anything where the company effects my enjoyment of what they produce. Don’t care if it won’t change anything, I can’t eat a mcdonalds veggie burger because it’d be in my head for days.

1 Like

This is extremely biased on individual exceptions and weaknesses though, I’ll happily contribute to mexican cartels for example because my ethical compass is borked by my own personal problems. It all gets a bit ‘‘I believe we should change society somewhat’’ after that though so w/e.

3 Likes

edit, smiley probably inappropriate. I just found this turn of phrase amusing

1 Like

Weatherspoons
Airbnb
Brewdog
Sports Direct

Alex Proud and all of his venues

1 Like

Wowwwww, that’s a name I’d not thought of or heard about in a while! Still up to the same old schtick?

I have issues with Airbnb affecting local housing markets etc as previously mentioned, but they also don’t have the same level of safety measures as a hotel.

Like with a hotel there are probably requirements to make sure the stuff in the room is safe, there’s probably someone on site all the time, there are usually key cards that I imagine would stop working after the end of your stay so you can’t get back into the room while someone else is staying there, etc. Whereas with Airbnb nobody is checking that the place is safe or responsible if it isn’t. Nobody is checking if the electrics are a fire hazard or if the toaster will give you an electric shock or if there’s a working carbon monoxide alarm.

Hidden because horrible

There was a news story not long ago about someone who copied a key to an airbnb he was staying in, let himself in at a later date and raped the person who was staying there. And a few years ago a man was killed using a tree swing in the host’s garden when the branch broke and fell on him. The tree had been dead for 2 years.

Obviously it’s not impossible for things like that to happen in a hotel but they’d be considered to have some responsibility for guests’ safety when that seems not to be the case for Airbnb.

1 Like

Horrible.

Weakening rights and protections for workers and customers is such a common theme with these “disruptors”.

edit: that’s probably tautological isn’t it

1 Like

Yeah. I generally avoid using (although not 100% boycott) gig economy type services because of the worker rights issues, but airbnb is one that I’d rather avoid for my own benefit as well.

1 Like