Breakthrough Albums That Never Were

Would probably change a couple here and there but here you go…

3 Likes

Their second is a raging ball of alt-rock brilliance… also lost interest after that though lol

I’ve been listening to this album quite a lot over the past week - I hadn’t appreciated quite how good it is. Self-Defense and Bookmark in particular are (sadly) beautiful.

Stereo/Mono and Come Feel Me Tremble have generally been my go-tos for solo Westerberg. I guess that ramshackle, lo-fi sound is more what fans (me included) wanted to hear from him.

2 Likes

It’s become such an autumn staple for me now that I find myself reaching for it a lot. I was trying recently to get into Stereo, which has always sounded like a much blander version of SG to me. Still not had a breakthrough with that, though did realise that the companion album, Mono, is up on spotify listed under his alter ego Grandpaboy. I really liked that - those songs with a bit more work on them could have been great. AAA would fit comfortably on a Replacements album.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve always preferred Mono. Let’s Not Belong Together is especially great.

Think Screaming Trees were aiming high with Dust after the relative success of Sweet Oblivion.

Reckon they might have been in with a chance had they released it in 93 and not faffed around until 96.

1 Like

It’s such a good record as well, probably the great lost rock album of the 90s. Don’t know what would have happened if it had broken through, I think they all hated each other by then anyway.

4 Likes

Full of singles. Sworn and Broken should be one of those songs that everyone knows.

2 Likes

Completely forgot that Toy are made up of members of Joe Lean and the etc. Them and Yuck coming out of Cajun Dance Party was a weird period of quite good bands forming from absolute rot.

4 Likes

It’s a great album. I saw them on their UK tour in 96 (with an extra guitarist in the form of Josh Homme) and they were excellent. Played Working Man by Rush as an encore too!

1 Like

I also saw then on this tour and they excellent. Don’t know if you’ve read Lanegans book yet but this tour features at one point. The book also helps explain the gap between the two albums. It’s worth a read.

1 Like

God Yuck were a great band

1 Like

I gave The Secret Machines first album a spin yesterday (great stuff indeed!), haven’t played that for years, I thought of this thread but I knew somebody would mention them.

Never heard TSD though. Have to fix that pronto.

1 Like

the highlights of the debut are brilliant but TSD is a much better album overall. Songwriting is consistently high and the sound is more focussed. They knock the sillier sci-fi themed lyrics on the head as well iirc.

2 Likes

The first album is perhaps a bit more adventurous n terms of its sound, but Ten Silver Drops has the best songs and is still interesting sounding,

1 Like

Don’t forget Post Louis! please :frowning:

1 Like