Brexit - the aftermath

I could recommend some twitter accounts to follow (though you’d have to follow them all to get an idea of what is going on). I have though about an NI general thread but that’s maybe too far :smile:

3 Likes

I would be interested! I think it’s pretty fucked how much NI gets forgotten other than as a political football, as a concept.

3 Likes

i saw Gregory Campbell on the news earlier blaming Sinn Fein for…loyalists rioting with police. washing his hands of stoking up the escalating rhetoric over the last few months completely.

it did get a bit of coverage on the main BBC news too although not as much

1 Like

there’s an Irish politics thread somewhere that it could go in (i think it might still be called the Irish Election thread but there have been some non-election posts in there since so the name could be updated) but feel free to start an NI specific one if you like

1 Like

I would definitely be interested in a NI political thread of its own…

10 Likes

Still incredible how little coverage NI got in the Brexit campaign, even on the Remain side. Not sure if it’s because they didn’t realise the consequences or because they didn’t think it would resonate as an issue with English voters.

3 Likes

Adonis has a bright idea

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1378995451094048776?s=19

1 Like

He seems to have forgotten his turtleneck

Blair and Major brought it up a grand total of once, in a speech in Derry, and it was barely reported on outside of the NI news from what i remember.

while it probably wouldn’t have resonated with a lot of English voters i still always thought it should have been a point that the Remain campaign hammered into the ground.

2 Likes

It always stuck with me that the british tv news were very reluctant to air troubles related stories esp in the headlines because people in Britain would just switch channel. I think that this gets covered in old bbc doc, about voice restrictions iirc.

2 Likes

Bit of light digging turns up this thread which - well, fucking hell, someone needs to knock some Unionist leaders’ heads together and remind them about life in the 70s.

All this foretold by some guy™ representing a collection of Loyalist paramilitaries the BBC gave a platform to, for some reason.

I hardly think his kids are out there tonight attacking across the peace line.

1 Like

FAO @Rodion and others who actually know a fair bit/live in NI

3 Likes

Cheers, I’ll post some stuff as and when I feel like I’ve got a coherent thought in my head :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The links at the bottom of that story are just all fun :+1:

3 Likes

Man, hope Liz Truss is okay, this is bad pork markers news

1 Like

Myself and Husband have recently been granted our permission to live here in France. We had to fill in and prove via online communication our circumstances to acquire the Permit and I.D. Card. We had to visit the Office just in the finial stages of our application. By the way, they even required our fingerprints…All very helpful and friendly and we feel very welcome here and we have mainly great neighbours.
Applying for French Residency after Brexit - Franco British Network

Our changes felt harsh at first we could not even send a letter to our children in England via the Postal Service. We can buy absolutely nothing from the UK Directly. We are relying on good friends to bring over sometime, items we bought via them. Miss very much British Sausages,although I found some similar in a Market the other day, but very expensive. We use to use mouse2house a third party carrier of goods from the UK to our Region here…Last week they had to sadly make a big decision…Closed their long standing Business forever.

In Italy they are having a nightmare with the software that records the finger print information. Basically because there was no agreement in place ahead of time there’s no category to allocate the information to - or something, not sure anyone knows tbh. We got early appointments and the problems seem to have escalated so we’re hoping we are ok but are waiting to hear back and are half expecting to be told we need to go through the process again. Loads of Brits in Italy are now in a limbo situation where they can’t prove they have the right to work. We’re lucky to have permanent contracts but a lot of people will have lost work.

In Belgium they’ve created a new category of residence/id card for people with rights under the withdrawal agreement, which I will have to go and exchange for my current card at some point this year (we have until the end of the year).

The ‘British’ food shop in Brussels has had to switch almost entirely to Irish suppliers - maybe there are some Irish companies that you can order from in France?

1 Like