Brexit Thread IV - Negotiations begin (and we're all screwed)

Gonna attempt to find a job in Ireland or anywhere else, watch as it ruins my personal relationships and hope the student loans company won’t find me :+1:

1 Like

wathcing Evan Davis interview some members of the public on the ‘negotiations’, and i’m more convinced than ever that the British public don’t deserve democracy.

1 Like

Never ceases to amaze me how people can form such strong opinions on things with so little knowledge. Loved the guy referring to Michel Barnier as having absolute power.

1 Like

i’m just amazed that an apparently random selection of the public still use words like ‘excited’ to describe the ‘outcome’ of this. It’s bizarre. Even if I was in favour of leaving the European Union, to use those terms within the context of the politicians completely in charge of this, whilst also criticising the European Union of appointing a technocrat that has ‘absolute power’ (which isn’t true by the way) is just…

Anyway, ahm oot.

4 Likes

We have representative democracy rather than a direct one for a reason

what’s that.

It would have been interesting if Evan Davis then asked what they think post-Brexit Britain would look like. What are they imagining? That their quality of life will improve?

the fishermen will be rich.

we’ll all be stinking rich.

They’re imagining no more non-white people

4 Likes

The like was for coming here, not the other things!

2 Likes

welcome to the boards!

you ever answered a question without really hearing what someone said?

that’s life, people just bluff their way through shit they’re not too engaged by

that means that people pay no attention to politics and then someone puts a mic in front of them and they say “oh b or a or maybe both i don’t know”

they have no idea

and telling them they should care is as useful as me telling you to pay attention to anything else you don’t care about

but people who don’t care about politics still get to vote

as they should

the end

We need some kind of strong leader who will take all the important decisions for us and not bother us every couple years with “elections”, if you ask me, and nobody has.

I’ve never, and would never willingly involve myself in a public panel debate where predominantly I needed to bluff, and don’t think that was what the panel thought they were doing here. Almost all of them used the word ‘excited’ by the possible outcome and came across as caring about what’s happening (and why wouldn’t they? The outcome is going to affect them and they were all aware of that).

Not sure what point you’re making in the latter part of your post- people have no idea, don’t care about politics and don’t pay attention because they don’t care, but have the right to vote and this is appropriate? Wasn’t suggesting people shouldn’t be allowed a vote, but you’ve not made a case in their favour.

Would you say that said leader would ensure some form of…what’s the word… stability?

1 Like

Red white and blue stability

i wrote this when shitfaced

i was trying to say that lots of people don’t engage with politics on a deep level

like that guy who was on a phone in with James O’Brien and was unable to name a single EU rule that he wanted to change, or that woman who got upset at david cameron for cutting her benefits despite the fact that very little research was necessary to know that that was what he was going to be doing

see people all the time in comments sections saying no deal will be fine, despite the fact that you really don’t need to do very much research to realise that the country could literally grind to a halt if it happens

people form strong opinions with very little knowledge, that’s the case across all kinds of things like sports, i can give you strong opinions on football players who i realistically know fuck all about

politics is no different for many people, they don’t see it as life and death whereas maybe they should do

democracy is still least bad form of government tho

basically i still don’t really know what i’m blathering on about

Massive confirmation bias too. People who believe the UK is the best country in the world hear dickheads like Redwood proclaiming no deal is fine and we should walk away…and that is their entire outlook confirmed.

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/reality-bites-news-worsens-1-5245153

Thought this was an interesting read (particularly the bottom half).

Working classes are already changing their minds about Brexit, more rapidly than middle classes (whose views haven’t changed).

Ian Dunt (who is excellent on the practicalities of what’s happening and where we’re going btw if you don’t follow him) said that hard Brexit/no deal Brexit is like a religious fervour for those who subscribe to it - a a belief system that is totally detached from the facts but cannot be changed regardless of how much evidence there is that it will be a disaster.

I try and engage with those people I know who want this, but I cannot countenance how blinded they are to the reality. I know people who are livid at the idea of ANY sort of transition period as it would be against the will of the people and is being done exclusively to stop Brexit, as opposed to the idea that it might take fucking ages to sort this all out to a level that doesn’t fuck the country totally in the arse, so might be sensible. You can wheel out as much evidence as you want, as many people in different fields talking about the practicalities of what we’re doing, but they’d rather listen to Farage popping up on Sky News saying that if we don’t cut all ties with the EU by march 2019 it’s a disgrace and democracy has been undermined. It’s all very tiring and I wish it’d all stop.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s very true that brexit is like a religious cult and it’d be like trying to convince the pope to become an atheist to get them to agree that brexit will be a disaster and nothing to do with democracy. Which of course makes it very hard to fight against.

1 Like