Brexit Thread IV - Negotiations begin (and we're all screwed)

Exactly. Same fucking reason we didn’t hold a referendum on whether or not we should keep sterilising homosexuals. Hope history remembers Cameron as a particularly moronic PM rather than just the generic evil Tory he otherwise was.

2 Likes

Would’ve been so easy to rig as well. Chuck in a minimum turnout clause, overall majority or a soft/hard brexit option and this Wouldn’t be happening

4 Likes

I definitely think he’ll be looked on very unfavourably. Him and Osborne.

Plus, he fucked a pig.

1 Like

looking back now it is absolutely ridiculous that the referendum didn’t include multiple options

hard brexit
soft brexit
soft remain (keep everything the same)
hard remain (join the Euro)

What about the Red White & Blue Brexit? I thought that’s what we were getting and yet I don’t see it on your list.

4 Likes

worst thing is that he probably looks back and goes “aah well it didn’t all go to plan but being PM for 6 years was a jolly good laugh” rather than going “oh wow i’ve really fucked things for… pretty much everyone”

i hope all his friends like cheese-maker bellend from Blur give him a hard time about it constantly

1 Like

He’s almost certainly perfectly happy and insulated from the effects of Brexit in his £25k shed.

it’s almost like i didn’t think this referendum thing through!

2 Likes

that’s what i mean, he’ll be annoyed that his legacy is fucked but he certainly doesn’t give a shit that his legacy is fucked cos he’s fucked the country

fuck fuck fucked

1 Like

To be fair, in his mind it was probably a successful venture. Got to fuck over a LOT of poor people in those 6 years. He’s probably just a little bit miffed that he lost the referendum meaning he can’t really fuck over poor people as much now.

Probably waiting for people to throw money at him on the after dinner speaker circuit as well. *Edit - if he’s not doing that already, I don’t know?

1 Like

Follow up to long haired lover from Liverpool?

1 Like

I think it will hurt him to have lost the referendum, and lost to the side picked by Boris, but I can’t see him being upset at the consequences of Brexit.

2 Likes

Cameron cannot Even be fucked to go back through his twitter and delete all these tweets that people keep sharing about chaos with Ed Miliband/the SNP holding Labour to ransom etc. That how few fucks he gives about any of this. Being PM for him was probably just nice padding for his CV. What a dreadful bellend

3 Likes

probably forgotten his login and all the names of the interns who could remind him

7 Likes

If we were going to have a referendum, we should have had, and still should have, a referendum for a specific package of constitutional changes vs the deal that Cameron had on the table. Rather than, do you want whatever fantasy dream land that tickles your fancy vs the boring old EU.

2 Likes

This is it. He’ll primarily be annoyed at losing what was a very elaborate bet with an old rival from school.

typical remoaner - you lost, get over it
It’s people like you that are stopping brexit from being a success
why don’t you move to EUstan if you love it there so much

:neutral_face::gun:

A minimum turnout clause in a referendum can have a disastrous effect, as it benefits the minority view.

The majority of voters who are against a certain proposal face two choices: vote against it (so the proposal will be rejected), or don’t vote at all (so the proposal doesn’t meet the turnout threshold). This can easily lead to a split vote where the minimum turnout is met, and the proposal is passed with the support of a minority of the electorate*.

*) this actually happened in a Dutch referendum in 2016 on the EU-Ukraine treaty, where the turnout was 32% (threshold was 30%) and 62% voted to reject the treaty, i.e. only 20% of the electorate. Opinion polls predicted that somewhere between 40% and 45% of voters were against the treaty.

That seems a very small threshold