Brexit Thread IV - Negotiations begin (and we're all screwed)

Awful lot of ‘dead cat’ front pages from the press this week to distract from this mess - terrorist plot to kill Theresa May, terrorist plot to kill Prince George, the Defence Secretary doing some ‘kill UK jihadis!’ rabble-rousing.

Given everything that’s happened in the past few days, you’d have thought that the Mail’s front page would have mentioned Brexit at some point this week…

2 Likes

I wonder how that plays with their Brexiteer readership ? Surely even to them it looks like conspicuous avoidance

Was thinking last night about this one time I had a health check at work (eyesight, hearing, we get a drugs test too usually) and the health worker was telling about this one time he had an employee at another company test positive for Methadone but the guy just denied any knowlege completely blase

Tester: You’ve tested positive for metahdone
Worker: Really? that’s weird, dunno how that got there
Tester: No, you don’t understand. Methadone isn’t something you accidentally take, this is serious.
Worker: Yeah I know, beats me how it got in there.
Tester: I cannot state this enough. It’s not like you can go to a party where someone else is taking it and accidentally get some in the punch. You have to go to a pharmacy and go into a room where they lock the door and an employee watches you take it, there’s no other way to get a hold of it.
Worker: I hear you big man, it’s a total mystery to me…

Etc, etc.

Anyway, this reminded me of the current Tory government. They continue to fuck up on a monumental scale and yet just seem to shrug their shoulders and carry on - “You lied to parliament about studying the financial impact of hard brexit” shrug “Your actions have led to a woman’s jail sentence being doubled in a foreign country” doesn’t matter “Your response to an ally retweeting Britain’s First is extemely weak” meh, what can you do? “You’re in bed with the DUP and all the stand for” Jeremy Corbyn tho

Anyway, TL;DR. Infuriating stuff. Fuck the Tories.

14 Likes

People only resign from office if the press make them the story.

If you look at the resignations between 1997 and 2010 very few of them would be seen as a resigning matter now as the government and the press have realised that they have to keep a lid on them because the alternative is a Corbyn-led government.

they’ve been going hard on this ocean plastic thing, which i’m actually supportive of tbh. it can’t hurt to raise awareness of impending ecological meltdown i guess. now imagine if it turned out boris johnson was a lexit infiltrator - they’d probably announce they were giving away all their profits for 2017 to make a new ice cap. let’s hope this happens.

Yeah. This just makes it even more ridiculous really doesn’t it? Like even if the press are all over it, just keep your head down and ride it out for a week and you’ll be fine. Someone else’s turn to get roasted in a few days time.

Amazed Priti Patel actually got the sack now that I think of it.

See, I don’t think people are really being roasted.

Imagine if another foreign secretary between 1997 and 2010 had done what Boris did - it would dominate the news for the full 9-day cycle until they resigned.

This went on for maybe three days in the press, before it disappeared.

Part of that is the quicker news cycles and social media, but it’s mainly a deliberate effort to keep a lid on things.

2 Likes

I could not agree with this more. All of the above. Think someone summed up pretty well on here not so long ago (can’t remember who) - remember when Gordan Brown called that woman a bigot and there was a real national outrage? And she was an actual bigot!

I used ‘roasted’ in the loosest possible sense.

1 Like

ocean plastic is just a detail in the overall picture though really

but we digress

i know bro, i was just trying to bring levity to the situation, you all seemed down. they used to parachute me into helmand to tell knock knock jokes to the troops.

support the troops :uk:

1 Like

Genuinely intrigued by this one.

speaking of which

So hard, she never bothered replying to my letter just after the election. Not even an acknowledgement.

Greggs wrapper falling down her blouse?

2 Likes

VPL?

Tucking her skirt into her knickers?

Such a bizarre thing to say from Hammond. The uncomfortable truth that nobody likes alluding to is that Britain’s low productivity and low unemployment are linked, but it’s nothing to do with the productivity of individual workers and everything to do with shit unproductive companies that, under the perfect economy that Tories like to believe exists, would be competed out of the market, leaving all their employees free to go out into the market and sell their ruddy skills to the go-getters.

Her bra opened a portal to an Eldritch universe filled with unspeakable horrors.

there is that, but there is also this

Hammond is basically just trying to crack another whip on the back of the working poor