Brexit Thread V - Only the Best Trade Deals

What if we run out of letters?

‘Take the :thinking: into town, then change to the :exploding_head:

1 Like

Yeah emojis are fine.

1 Like

Probably easier to remember than bus numbers as well.

1 Like

Every single dickhead who voted for Brexit basically wants ‘Brexit, except for me’. Like all of those fucking farmers who have suddenly remembered they need migrant labour.

2 Likes

Grimsby: Vote Leave! By the way, this isn’t going to affect our fishing industry, right?

2 Likes

It’s the libertarian way - I want no government to apply to or restrict me personally, except all the bits that I actually like. PS I also don’t like paying tax.

2 Likes

“All cats are Libertarians: Completely dependent on others, but fully convinced of their own independence.”

5 Likes

Blatter got booed by a full house at Wembley for the Women’s Olympic Final. It was beautiful. And I did my bit.

2 Likes

‘I was saying Boo-latter’

1 Like

I wasn’t. I was booing as hard as I could.

Fine, ignore me making the obvious gag! sobs

1 Like

:smiley:

Beautiful.

An unexpected little twist in the tale.

The devolved powers will be returned to Scotland, Wales and NI. But with a caveat.

The idea is that the powers would be returned to the devolved administrations - but the UK government would retain supervision over certain of those powers in the first instance.

In essence, to avoid initial disparity, UK ministers would insist upon the adherence to EU rules - essentially replicating the EU framework, at first.

This would not apply to all the powers or anything like the totality. But it would be key powers such as agriculture, fisheries, food labelling and others.

A step in the right direction. I think the bit toward the end is more telling than intended:

"We have worked closely with the devolved administrations to find a way forward that respects the role of the devolved governments and ensures we are able to protect our vital UK internal market, worth around four times as much to Scotland as the EU’s.

“All sides agree certain areas will require common frameworks - and it’s therefore imperative that we don’t make life more difficult for businesses and families across the UK as we manage the process of bringing new powers back from the EU.”

Yeah, wouldn’t want any unnecessary uncertainty, eh, lads? I don’t even think it’s the uncertainty. I think it’s the realisation that powers devolved to NI, S & W could potentially be more disruptive to England than when those powers were overseen by the EU.

spits out tea
An actual policy stance! Might force the government to go along with it, or risk defeat/no confidence.

Mr Corbyn said Labour backed customs union membership during a planned two-year transition period after the UK leaves the EU in March 2019.

But in a shift from the party’s policy at last year’s general election, he said the UK should strike a new customs deal with the EU at the end of transition.

“Labour would seek a final deal that gives full access to European markets and maintains the benefits of the single market and the customs union… with no new impediments to trade and no reduction in rights, standards and protections,” he said.

Have they tipped their hand, with all this talk of a market across Europe to increase trade and unify rights and standards? IS CORBN A REMANIER

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/968085491621990400

Ah no, Brexit was in our hearts all along!

2 Likes

Don’t really think I understand the difference between the customs union and the single market.

Have I got this right: the customs union means everyone charges the same tariffs (presumably only to people outside of the customs union?) BUT the single market means everyone charges the same tariffs AND the same laws (including freedom of movement) apply to everyone?

I think thats roughly it. So being in the customs union means there is no need for a border in Ireland, as goods arriving into both from outside need to meet the same standards, and have the same tariffs applied.

Whereas single market is more about free movement of goods/people/services within that area, and less about controlling what comes into it from external sources.

But why won’t Corbyn do anything!!! Brexit is the worst thing that’s ever happened ever!!!

1 Like

Oh is that part of it too?

Would Britain get a say on these standards or am I gonna have to keep hearing the word ‘sovereignty’ all over again?

1 Like