Brexit Thread V - Only the Best Trade Deals

Glad (and surprised) he’s finally getting on with it, although there’s still no talk of ‘no Brexit is better than a bad Brexit’.

Yeah Brexit may not be the worst thing that’s ever happened in history, but it’s still pretty bad in a lot of ways for a lot of people and it’s preventable.

I mean if your roof’s leaking you don’t just sit there going ‘oh noes leaky roof worst thing ever!!!’ while snarking at someone who’s trying to fix it, right?

1 Like

customs union stops you eating steroid pig and the like too I think.

3 Likes

But why won’t he come out and say that the EU isn’t the problem!!!

"The EU is not the root of all our problems, and leaving it will not solve all our problems”

1 Like

who are the people trying to fix the leaky roof in this analogy? the tories?

Pork belly > lean pork, tbf.

1 Like

Brexit is burning the house down instead of fixing the roof.

No, impending doom of Brexit is the leak, the roof is the UK, people trying to fix it are the least popular housemates (like the Lib Dems) while the cool ones are just chilling on the sofa saying it’ll all be fine and look we had a house vote on this, we’re gonna leave it and it’ll be fine even though water is coming through above the TV

I think it’s the people who wrote the labour manifesto, and those doing the snarking are the commentariat.

1 Like

Is staying in the customs union a re-felt or re-tiling?

4 Likes

In this scenario, do the LibDems feel guilty about removing the tiles from the roof in the first place?

1 Like

Yeah, glad he said that. But then, why won’t he say that no Brexit is better than a bad Brexit?

I mean if you’re into the secret Remainer business, then this looks like good news in that direction, but on the face of it it’s more of the same ‘our Brexit is better than your Brexit’.

I think the Lib Dems are the contractors who the Tories are blaming did a bad job on the roof so it’s not their fault and therefore won’t fix it.

Because brexit is extremely popular in constituencies he needs to win/keep. People voted for brexit they didn’t vote for hard/soft brexit

2 Likes

Yeah probably, haven’t really gone into the backstory on this. I mean ultimately it is all the Lib Dems’ fault after all

1 Like

I feel like the Brexit as house analogy may itself be worse than Brexit.

14 Likes

Kasabian are UKIP?

10 Likes

That’s the thing, though - Corbyn can’t really deliver on his agenda if the country is reeling from Brexit and we go into another recession. People aren’t voting for him (solely) because they’re pro-Brexit, it’s everything else he wants to do and stands for - otherwise, they’d be voting Tory!

So sooner or later, Labour are going to have to say, look, it’s either a fairer society or Brexit. Something something cake and eat it, can’t do both.

Labour Brexit will still be really fucking bad for the UK, just hopefully not as bad as the Tory kind. But it will be bad, and that will have an impact on the Labour party too (if they were in power in 2019 ofc). They’d get blamed, just as Gordon Brown’s govt did in 2010 for the financial crisis.

1 Like

In all seriousness though, that thread from Ian Dunt is just so surface level and full of snarking, without really seeing the political implications of what Corbyn has said.

Declaring support for a customs union might push May into a similar position, although I doubt that there will be many Tory MPs who will vote to defeat the government on this if it means that May might fall, and in those circumstances it also provides a red line on any votes that Labour might support in parliament.

This statement places May and Tory MPs in an almost impossible situation.

3 Likes

Staying in the customs union and pretending to do something about immigration while improving peoples living conditions is the way to go.

1 Like

Shoot the runner through customs

2 Likes