Brexit thread w/c 25th February

Scenes.

2 Likes

Back in August when I was on my travels I met a lawyer who did financial work with the government. Even back then he said the plan would be to delay, and then delay again and then most likely go into a never ending series of delays so that we would never actually leave. And the the EU were happy for that to happen. No idea how much he actually knew and what he was making up.

1 Like

oh god

Looks like the UK will be sending a whole load of anti-EU MEPs to Brussels then as a protest vote - like we always do.

On a serious note, if there is a delay, which is looking more and more likely, I hope that voters actually now feel engaged enough about Europe to actually vote for their EU representatives. In the UK voter turnout has always been below the EU average - 35% compared to 42% in the last European Parliament elections. Voters moan that they have no voice in Europe but they don’t vote! The only voters who do vote are older voters who tend to be more Euro-sceptic and that’s why the UK has a higher number of Euro-sceptic MEPs in Brussels. Come on, voters, get out there and vote!

2 Likes

I would think there would be a big remain protest vote, maybe for labour, but that’s just utter guesswork off the top of my head

Also true I think?

1 Like

Well I’m hoping that you’re wrong.

Since the referendum it’s been a constant observation that young voters, had they had the chance to vote, would have voted to stay in. If that’s the case, demonstrate that. Become engaged in European politics. It’s that apathy that you speak of that has lead us here, so let’s change that. It’s the collective responsibility of UK voters to engage themselves.

most people don’t know what MEPs do tbh

I don’t think that ‘our public’ is any different to European mainland voters. However I believe it’s primarily to do with education and a feeling of belonging, which I don’t believe is there on the UK’s part. In Europe, national flags positioned next to the EU flags is a ubiquitous sight, and it is common for school children to go on school trips to Brussels so that they are taught about the EU. Mainland Europeans are no different to people in the UK. It is merely a mindset created through education and a sense of belonging. That can be created if we want it.

I realise that I’m being idealistic here, but I’m hoping that the engagement created during the referendum, especially in young voters, will result in a higher turn-out and hopefully more towards a less Euro-sceptic base of MEPs.

So, nothing changes? Good oh.

1 Like

In the last European Parliament elections 84% of the UK vote went to pro-EU candidates.

1 Like

A lot of leavers are still under the impression they can’t elect anyone into Brussels because it’s never mentioned in the press

My own knowledge of the process is a bit clunky although I try to convince them they can have a say

“A whole load” doesn’t have to mean a majority. It can mean a handful of grade A weapons.

• 0 - 5
  • 6 -10
  • 11- 20
  • 21 - 40
  • 41 - 73
0 voters
1 Like

Not sure I know what it is though.

I started counting at one and then lost interest.

Hmm well I completely disagree. Five batshit Farageists is quite enough to represent a whole load to me.

1 Like

Farage himself is a whole “load”.

4 Likes

“nigel paul farage”

New week, new thread:

1 Like