Brexit Thread w/c 28/1

“disarm” would be the better choice boris, you fucking idiot dickhead

1 Like

Well… it depends how you look at it. On the face, it’s actually a fair compromise that takes into account the pretty unique history of Ireland (the island), but it does also pretty clearly neuter some of the alleged benefits of Brexit and/or require that the UK runs an increasingly diverged economy - one for NI and one for the mainland.

I can totally see why the Brexiters hate it - it kills any notion of the UK being able to make it on it’s own, but it’s also a logical consequence of the fact they want to negotiate the best trade deals in the world themselves and the lack of thought they’ve given to the Irish border really does show up how little thinking they’ve done.

1 Like

It’s temporary in that the aim is to replace it with an agreement that works within the government’s self-imposed red lines, so it’s effectively permanent.

6 Likes

STOP TALKING BREXIT DOWN!!!11

3 Likes

the comments on that are properly terrifying

we are dooooooooooooomed

CRUSH THE SABOTEURS

The people at the top who are advocating for Brexit are in safe-guarded against the worst effects of an economic downturn and prepared to suffer a 30-year recession to get their way. It’s a war on anyone who isn’t wealthy enough to survive (so, most people). I know, I know, full Moker and all that, but there’s no rational way to explain this as anything other than an ideological hard-right conspiracy to clear the way for social re-engineering. All this worry about why people voted for it is pointless. That’s just the delivery system.

1 Like

Disagree with this, totally. Finding out why people voted for it is the only way to build an active resistance to it happening - in the UK and beyond.

Okay, point taken - I was being blunt and a bit glib. It’s not pointless in terms of our reaction to it, and how to move forward. But I think the idea that it’s driven by the voters is a big slice of bullshit that it’s convenient for us to be fed. I would say the division and anger is useful to the people who stand to benefit from all this.

1 Like

Pretty sure she’s not going to secure any concessions before the next vote, if Yvette Cooper’s amendment goes through I guess we’re looking at a December extension.

Another year of this shit? :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Lot of talk that none off the amendments have enough votes to get through.

Good to see you switching to no deal Nick

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Book Thread Of Year '19

Can’t find owt about the sample size, but surely worrying for the Corbynites. They’re fucked if they lose the youth vote.

For our Future’s Sake (FFS), the student-led anti-Brexit campaign, has released some polling from Opinium suggesting young people are losing faith in Jeremy Corbyn’s handling of Brexit. “In just 6 months, 18-34-year-old’s approval of how Corbyn is responding to Brexit has plummeted 27 percentage points, from +13% in July to -14% this week,” it says. Kira Lewis, an FFS activist, said:

“Unfortunately, over the last 6 months, there’s been a massive drop in young people’s approval of how Jeremy Corbyn in handling Brexit. The reason for this is painfully clear - the overwhelming majority of Corbyn supporters, like myself, want Labour to back a People’s Vote on the Brexit deal, but if Labour and him enable Brexit, they are at risk of losing young supporters.”

wtf wrong thread

1 Like

haha, I did very nearly write bring on the rioting, so yes I’m now a full no deal advocate.

I’m wondering that myself actually word is that around a dozen Tories would vote for it and I expect Labour if they’re seriously committed to a no-deal will vote for it.

if you let me know what thread it’s meant for I can move it for you :+1:

1 Like

1,048 full-time undergraduate students