Brighton Venue Audit

yeah it’s a handful of or maybe even just one promoter(s) that uses it but seen some insanely good stuff there. kind of need to keep your ear to the ground or occasionally the Resident listing to hear about it. but yeah BYOB and it’s just a town hall so there’s no real pretence of artist separation. often people play on the hall floor rather than the stage.

Upcoming Jeffrey Lewis & Los Bolts show is the only thing I can find forthcoming there.

https://dictionarypudding.co.uk/2019/06/29/jeffrey-lewis-and-los-bolts-8/

Sufjan, Mogwai, the Manics (twice), EITS. seen some crackers there. probably my favourite venue

1 Like

Love this place. Saw Haiku Salut there a few years ago and it had a right lovely community vibe to it, in a way similar to how The Freebutt felt

1 Like

Patterns/Audio

• Decent
  • Not Decent

0 voters

Hmmm very torn about this. Seen some great stuff, seen some suite stuff. Those pillars man…

Probably my most visited venue. Was in here about once a week between 2008-2011

@GuyIncognito yeah, weird layout and some shocking sound issues (Twilight Sad/Errors joint tour was awful here). But I like it.

That being said, my most recent gig there (DUDS) was great so it’s a positive review from me

i think it’s better since it became Patterns, generally better stuff on and a nicer vibe.

Best / weirdest experience here was seeing The Internet + Kilo Kish on a random weekday afternoon with about 30 people in max. They’re literal grammy winners now but the atmosphere in there was so relaxed and fun, they seemed amused by the low turnout and they were pretty much chatting to the audience and asking for requests. Think at one point the drummer left the stage to get himself a beer from the bar and bought one for a random punter who had an Internet t-shirt on too.

1 Like

Christ, saw all sorts of stuff in there (Peter Broderick, Why?, Fuck Buttons, Lightning Bolt, Vampire Weekend to name 5) when it was audio. Thought it hadn’t really changed when I saw Alex G a couple of years ago. Used to be the OIB venue of choice, so always put on decent shows for a mid 20s indie kid

Vampire Weekend in Audio is pretty nuts to think about now. Could probably just about squeeze them into the Dome.

1 Like

Was a lovely gig tbh. Last time they played Brighton it was in the Center. But of a step up

speaking of which… Brighton Centre?

• Yay
  • Nay

0 voters

It’s a no for me, the pillar, often oversold, that and the Haunt often put me off some gigs

The Haunt?

• Please Stay!
  • The relocation can’t come soon enough

0 voters

Since Audio became Patterns is a much nicer venue, Audio was pretty dire but had some truly outstanding gigs for its size… most notably I saw a double headline show there with Beach House and Fleet Foxes

1 Like

They have wrestling \m/

1 Like

is it moving then?

The haunt is fine if you can push your way through the bottleneck to get to the front - where it’s generally pretty chill and roomy

shit if you are near the back though - especially if the artist decides to sit down for the show (I’m looking at you J Mascis)

2 Likes

we should really have a Brighton meat sometime - we could all go to a gig

2 Likes

Aye we should. Dunno about a gig but a pint in a beer garden? Then venture to a gig if we are up for it?

1 Like