Broadcast

Deserve a thread, don’t they? Couldn’t find one. What’s your favourite record by them? I love that fuzzy, static-y sound on Tender Buttons

1 Like

This is my favourite song. Easily. Trish is such a loss, what a beautiful voice…

1 Like

I’ve been spinning Ha Ha Sound most lately but they are all wonderful, just such a shame that there will never be more.

My favourite:

2 Likes

this radio session is amazing, especially the version of Echo’s Answer. spine-tingle stuff

1 Like

The Noise Made by People is probably my favourite. There’s a great sort of French 60s vibe to it. Tender Buttons is great too, love that staticy synth sound. never spent as much time with Haha Sound or the compilations.

should definately check out Work and Non Work. Some belters on that.

2 Likes

Tender Buttons is such a great record, would have loved to have heard a proper follow up to that even though I did enjoy those two concept records that followed.

Always feel Birmingham doesn’t give them the recognition they deserve.

1 Like

The Future Crayon rarities / out-takes compilation has some loveliness on it too - in particular this:

Such a singular sound. I don’t normally get affected by the passing of artists (maybe I’m too cold), but was properly gutted at the time, not least because I commuted to Birmingham and they were one of its redeeming features (to me at least). Pneumonia of all things.

5 Likes

Love HaHa Sound and really dig the Berberian Sound Studio OST. Need to pick up the joint album they did with The Focus Group, Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age.

Trish also did this mixtape, which is pretty good:

1 Like

Phenomenal, they’re as good as any band that’s ever existed for me. Beautiful songs. This version of ‘Unchanging Window’ is amazing.

5 Likes

Remind me to post here when I’m not at work

I really love it - think it probably is closer aligned to Berberian than their other stuff so you should like it!

1 Like

don’t know why but I’ve never listened to The Future Crayon.

It’s bloody great. Being a compilation it’s a bit all over the place so i tend to dip into it rather than play it through but nearly all of it is top drawer. The version of ‘Unchanging Window’ on it is miles better than the one on ‘TNMBP’.

1 Like

listening now!

1 Like

This is very true, though when I was making a short doc about Broadcast and Pram (who I recommend to anyone who likes Broadcast) as my dissertation, I was pleasantly surprised by how many people in the creative / film-ish sorta DIY community in Brum were really interested.

Most amusingly, the guy who bound my accompanying essay had a conversation about 'em while doing the binding.

They’ve definitely left a mark on that same community they emerged from, I’d say. They deserve way more wider appreciation as a part of local culture than they get

6 Likes

I’ve just heard a couple of singles. The one on duophonic as I am a huge stereolab fan. Keep meaning to investigate more.

nothing much between Noise, Haha and Tender for me. fabulous band, too early gone.

4 Likes