Broadcast

Anyone like the Children of Alice album? Took me a few listens to connect with as it feels very unstructured but I’ve ended up really liking it.

3 Likes

I’m still at the not connecting stage

Listened to it a fair bit when it came out and enjoyed it but i haven’t been back to it.

Obviously it’s not trying to be ‘pop’ the way broadcast were but generally i prefer a merging of pop and experimentalism rather than the total abstraction you get with COA.

Anyone hear the Cats Eyes soundtrack for ‘The Duke Of Burgundy’? James Cargill was involved and lots of it is very Broadcast esq. I prefer it to the ‘Berberian…’ OST tbh.

1 Like

Absolutely love this one, was the track that got me into them

2 Likes

Yep really like the Duke of Burgundy soundtrack.

Definitely have to be in the right mood for COA.

1 Like

Accu (Welsh artist) from last year released a lovely album (Echo The Red) with a similar vibe to some of Broadcast’s work. Worth a try if you need a fix.

3 Likes

re: Pram, here’s a big highlight from their album from last year, Across the Meridian, which’d appeal to Broadcast-iacs

oh and if anyone wants to delve deeper into that scene, this mix by Pete Paphides is great (and a great help for researching my aforementioned film)

3 Likes

I liked Pram a long time ago, but can’t say I’ve followed them since their Too Pure days - where should I (re)start?

I’d say the new album is as good a place as any. One of my favourite tracks of their’s, ‘The Pawnbroker’ is from Dark Island

2 Likes

Coolio, that’s tomorrow’s new listen then!

also I still haven’t delved mega deep into 'em, but if you want more Birmingham vaguely retrofuturist / film-literate synthiness (which leans more towards drone), Ondes Positives records:

2 Likes

If any broadcast fans have never heard this it’s well worth a listen. Its The United States Of America, the band Broadcast reportedly based their early sound on. (Portishead also cribbed this bassline for ‘Half Day Closing’)

Only released the one album but it’s fantastic.

1 Like

Hadn’t actually listened to Witch Cults before today but it is really fucking cool.

2 Likes

I’m glad I got to see them live a couple of times, really great shows and stood next to John Peel at one. Couldn’t listen for years after Trish passed but been playing them loads recently.

1 Like

Yep, I’ll second this, cracking album.

I’m pretty sure Seeland was a couple of ex members of Broadcast. Not sure what happened to them though… This is quite old.

1 Like

Thanks, this is excellent!

Tim Felton started a project called Hintermass who put an album out on Ghost Box

Really digging my position as BBC4 talking head here

1 Like

Are you brum based? Went to the Pram album launch last year in Digbeth, was really cool, loads of folk from that scene and beyond. Kinda felt like there is a whole other side to the city we only just touched upon before moving away.

1 Like