Brown Sugar

Brown sugar should only really be used on porridge, although I’m open to other suggestions.

Been a worrying trend that I’ve noticed recently of people using brown sugar in teas and coffee. Is this actually a thing people do?

big if tru

This thread is not about the problematic Rolling Stones song.

Pretty sure people have been putting brown sugar in their tea and coffee since the dawn of time

The worrying thing, other than people actually putting any form of sugar in their tea and coffee, is that you’ve only recently noticed it

i’m going to assume you’re talking about light brown or golden demerera. it’s totally fine to use in place of everyday granulated imo (unless it’s a technique that requires a fine sugar) if it’s light enough, you barely notice a difference in tea/coffee. i actually prefer it. and people have been doing it for decades?

it’s partially refined and not as strong/overpowering as proper brown sugar - you wouldn’t use any sort of muscovado or the jaggery, sucanat etc that’s just sugar mixed with molasses or syrup (this is a thing). now that would call for a thread.

I only really use brown sugar to sweeten the taste of sticky onion dip.

Light brown sugar is infinitely better then white sugar in many situations it has a more complex taste. Like half a tea spoon in tea and particularly coffee. Now molasses or something is surely a porridge only case.

This is a true “through the looking glass” moment for me, had no idea this was a common thing. Just put a little bit of light brown / golden demerera sugar in my coffee and I’m actually quite enjoying it. What a time to be alive!

anyone who puts any sugar in tea of coffee is a reprobate tbh

Agree with this tbh, maybe this is why I haven’t noticed others using brown sugar and just assumed they used white.

I’m also not crazy about sugar in porridge

What do you have instead?

I’m largely in agreement. But occasionally put half a teaspoon when hangover or just to mix it up

• Porridge is overrated
  • Porridge is underrated
  • Porridge is rated
  • Porridge is awful boring shit sludge that doesn’t taste any good unless coated with something else

0 voters

Pinch of salt and drop of honey, a bona fide flavour combo

don’t see that word often so just putting this here

That sounds great, I lack any sort of creativity when it comes to food so I’m gonna jot this down for later

I’m no porridge master, mind you. I jut don’t like sugar that much.

I do like fruit in porridge though, especially bananas.

Probably stuff that has as much sugar as actual sugar,

BACK ONCE AGAIN FOR THE READYBREK MASTER
TEA 4 DAMAGER PORRIDGE TO THE PEOPLE
BACK ONCE AGAIN FOR THE READYBREK MASTER
TEA 4 DAMAGER WITH THE CEREAL BEHAVIOUR

what sort of cunt puts sugar on porridge?

an absolute cunt, that’s who

Every day I am amazed by how such a small pile of oats can become such a big hearty bowl of delicious gloop

what about the days when you don’t have porridge?