Budget guitar pedals

I guess on record there is always loads of compression getting applied in the mix, which would keep it under control - or failing that they would just bring the level down in the mix

it is a very extreme effect - but with my pedal it’s cool cos you can click it in, then switch it off again as soon as it gets too much. Plus there is an internal trim pot you can use to tame it

[pedantry warning]

Technically, an Expander would actually raise the volume of the quieter individual notes whilst a straight Compressor would simply reduce the volume of the strummed chords, thereby making the individual notes sound louder by comparison.

you are correct

but pedantic

yes very very very pedantic

1 Like

this sounds great and is something my budget £20 delay pedal does not have. I guess what I need to do is to get one of my kids to sit on the floor and turn the dial as I play.

perfect - kids are pretty cheap

1 Like

again not something I would expect a budget pedal to have - but if a delay allows an expression pedal to be plugged in and control the feedback amount you can do something similar

2 Likes

Love pedals, sure. Love pedals too bloody much sometimes!

3 Likes

Christ, my daughter (6) bloody loves pressing the pedals and fucking up the settings when I didn’t even know she had been in there.

I bought her a 3/4 Squier and it is really fantastic too.

1 Like

It’s cool. We were using it last weekend a bit to reamp a couple of EBow parts. It’s a work of art aesthetically.

1 Like

[quote=“Scagden, post:55, topic:30481”]
The ‘yellow falls’ delay pedal is great fun. There’s a ‘feedback’ knob which seems to be pretty binary: if you turn it up past about 2 o clock it kicks in and turns your chord or whatever into a screeching messy hell that’s 25x louder than you were originally playing.[/quote]

sounds right up my street

1 Like

Nice. Have a 3/4 guitar and every now and again try to interest my two in it. They get up to ‘my fingers hurt’ and then go back to the piano.

got a bunch of pedals it’s just a pity that clean guitar is the best guitar sound really

2 Likes

Clean with no compression, reverb or delay at all is a bit shit.

1 Like

I’d never play clean without at least reverb.

1 Like

and maybe some subtle drive!

depends on the amp and guitar really. My strat and Duesenberg neck pickups sound great just clean. Sometimes it’s nice to put a tiny subtle bit of tremolo on though.

I rarely write anything with reverb or delay as it tends to get in the way, better to add that stuff afterwards.

I find a reverb-less clean tone drab and uninspiring to play.

1 Like

obviously nylon string is the best as you don’t need to add anything to it.

It’s like the piano of guitars

1 Like