Burial 2024

I’m probably in a minority here but I found it boring.

Really like the artwork, about to give it a spin

Yeah this is real nice

I liked that on first listen

It sounded very much like Burial except with new samples. He got into a habit of reusing the same samples but all of this sounds new.

1 Like

Funnily enough, I thought he’d sampled some of his old stuff on this…

9 Likes

I really want to like this but it’s not really doing much for me at the moment, it just feels so patchy. There are some flashes of things that sound so great they give me endorphins ( :wink:) but they’re gone before you know it.

I’ll stick with it, maybe it’ll click at some point and end up being a favourite come the end of the month or year.

2 Likes

Yep I feel like this too. There are some great bits there that I really like but before I can really appreciate it it’s gone and we’re into the next sketch.

It feels like a load of ideas baked into 5 relatively long tracks and I can’t help but want some of the ideas to be explored more in their own track

Don’t get me wrong though, there are a lot of parts I’m into and I wonder if it’ll sound more seamless on repeat listens

3 Likes

It’s definitely growing on me. Initial thoughts, as I haven’t really listened to much of Burial’s ambient, is that it was missing the drums. On each repeat listen though, I’m picking up more and more intricacies, especially in the latter half (which is the biggest departure from typical Burial from a sampling perspective - and much more interesting for it).

Lazy as fuck

I’m really enjoying it. I don’t think this looser form era of Burial will ever surpass his “peak” era (EP’s after Untrue) but i think this is top notch. Like others have said, he lost me with releasing a lot of these style tracks as singles which really isn’t the right format for it

3 Likes

Best thing he’s done for a while for me. Got that emotional gutpunch that I didn’t get from a lot his recent releases and as the music shifts constantly it just seems to never get boring.

On the start of strange neighbourhood has he used that “you came around my way” vocal snippet before?

1 Like

Second half is the best stuff he’s done for a good while.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for organ, rhodes, wurlitzer esque type stuff so a lot of this was starting from a pleasing position. So I think this is quite excellent.

1 Like

Every time he releases something it gets the same immediate negative reaction, he’s lost it etc, then a few days later it’s like oh wait it’s brilliant again

2 Likes

Finally changed the thread title! (Subtemple was nearly four years ago omg)

Liking Antidawn more, love the way he released a ~43min record but skirted the ‘follow-up to Untrue’ hype by calling it an EP (like rocks said in fact). Wonder if the Guardian etc will notice this one

But I wouldn’t mind some drums next time

4 Likes

If Bleach is an album then so is this

Starting to think this record is proper AOTY-already genius

2 Likes

Wait how the fuck did I miss the two Burial tracks ‘Space Cadet’ and ‘Dark Gethsemane’!?

I know they’re on that Shock Power of Love EP, assumed they were just ft. Burial not Burial tracks in their own right, fucking hell

1 Like
  • I knew about these
  • I missed them

0 voters