bury being thrown out of the football league

listen, im sure this has been covered in the football thread but i mute it too quickly to find it again and i dont want to have to wade through all the other chat that im not interested in but i DO want to talk about bury being thrown out of the league.

i used to go and watch bury before i went to uni, i went with my pal who had a season ticket. he was in a wheelchair so i got in as his carer, it was great. bury are really the only club who have held any interest whatsoever for me, like im really not interested in the rest of football at all. i just want to be able to get my head around what happened and what happens next.

i read this guardian article this morning which gives a lot of the background, basically subsequent corrupt owners running the club into the ground.

so they wont play any games this season, obviously. if a sale goes through they’ll have to pay all the outstanding bills and stuff presumably, like the outstanding wage bills and mortgage and stuff. it seems like theres less chance of a sale going through now that they’re not in the league tho? so presumably they’ll have to sell the ground to pay the bills? and then come back as a non league side playing in the park down the way from gigg lane, idk. what a load of shit

11 Likes

It’s a genuine fucking disgrace and I find it too depressing to be able to be eloquent about it (not that I’m ever able to be eloquent frankly)

Football clubs are community assets and should be protected as such.

26 Likes

Really sorry mate. The whole thing is tragic.

@imaperv posted this in the football thread and it’s a tough read:

2 Likes

Put my thoughts down late last night. Still fucking furious.

2 Likes

And there, but for the grace of some higher power, go all football clubs. At least all but a handful. It’s such a sad thing to see the fans, to whom their club means everything, reduced to tears in a car park outside the ground.

2 Likes

This is another good piece by the always excellent David Conn

6 Likes

And along with them goes the pub quiz question about the team in the football league with the shortest name.

But in all seriousness it’s terribly sad. The Fit And Proper Persons test is an absolute joke.

1 Like

from what ive the test wasnt applied when bury was bought last year but seems to be being applied now? its so weird that im now hoping ivan lewis will do something good for the town when hes been a shitheel of an mp for about 20 years now

^This.
Heard a discussion at the weekend which laid the blame almost completely at the door of the EFL. When you have no external auditing of your organisation (the phrase that was used was that they ‘mark their own homework’) then this sort of thing will happen again and again. For Bury, read Bolton, Coventry, Reading etc etc…

6 Likes

Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich, Luton, E****r, us, and more I’ve forgotten I’m sure. Oh and Torquay, that one’s a proper mess.

1 Like

From what I read you have to prove you have enough money to run a football club and therefore buy one, but you don’t have to do this until after the sale goes through. And if you can’t prove your solvency, then the sale has gone through so they can’t take it off you, and the club is the thing that is punished!

Anyone ever who has ever been involved in football administration should be in prison imho.

3 Likes

forgot to mention in the OP that i used to work for the club as well when i was in 6th form, used to do the pools. id walk round my estate collecting money from all the old dears and giving them their winnings and that. got paid in commission and some lovely bonuses at christmas, got invited to a christmas meal in the club’s players lounge one year. took my season ticket pal but didnt tell my boss beforehand that he was in a wheelchair. ended up carrying him up and down the stairs to get there like a right idiot who assumed there was no way the lounge wouldnt be accessible in the 21st century! football eh

6 Likes

*Disgraced MP Ivan Lewis

1 Like

thats another thing, why have they said bolton can have another two weeks but bury is just fucked off?

I think the terminology might be different or it’s a slightly different thing but it’s essentially a leveraged buyout. All the EFL require is essentially “proof of funds” but for some inexplicable reason you’re allowed to secure funds against the assets that you’re trying to buy. It’s absolutely fucking bonkers.

It’s the same thing that happened to United but on a much, much more devastating scale obviously.

Oxford have been really close to this sort of situation so many times - I can’t imagine how bleak life would be without that stupid club in it.

The EFL can get fucked, then get fucked again, and then get fucked to the sun and back. What a bunch of cunts.

2 Likes

guys a real piece of shit, even before he was ~disgraced~ he was selling off the towns assets and shitting all over radcliffe

3 Likes

Bolton are basically two weeks further away in the process. Bury got the same additional two-weeks that Bolton have now but they got it two weeks ago (I think)

3 Likes

I think Bolton’s was delayed by the court order whatever that piece of fucking shit is called got to block the takeover, which they’re still trying to salvage.

1 Like

Although I do not like football, I feel a great kinship and solidarity with the people of Bury. I always viewed that as my dream; make a bit of money, move out of Manchester and buy a semi-detached in Bury with a garden and a garage with an electric car chargeport. I don’t really get what’s going on, but my old manager was from Middleton so Bury were his team, and it seemed like they were alright, it wasn’t all disgusting amounts of money and big international business involvement. The ticket stubs he kept pinned up on a board at his desk looked all old school and proper. A real shame for this to go down the tubes.

1 Like