Buying a house - first steps

Oh, well you’re on solid ground with your objection then!

Seems like a miscommunication. Hopefully you’ll get it sorted!

Like @marckee and @xylo say, an airbed is fine for a while if you end up not having a bed. You can get them for like ÂŁ15 in Halfords:

Don’t sweat it!

2 Likes

I really like that fox card too! :fox_face:

1 Like

Sleep upright in an armchair like Leon The Professional

1 Like

Oh god the dreaded fixtures and fittings list

From recollection it’s a tickbox exercise isn’t it? You just tick the things you agree to take, regardless of whether they’re free or not?

On ours the only major things we wanted left were the dishwasher and the garden furniture. We explicitly made sure the solicitors double-checked that they were happy including them. On the day of exchange our solicitor rang us to tell us the vendor hadn’t meant to include the dishwasher. When we moved in there was no garden furniture. We shrugged and sucked it up.

The only thing we specified as needing to be left was the wired in discoball. :dancer::man_dancing: True story.

He did leave all the kitchen white goods. Nice. And a load of crap from the shed that he took with him. Not so much. But he was a good guy (reminded me of Bernard from New Order). Came back and gave us and ‘induction’ on the various switches and taps, etc. Except that we’ve forgotten what one switch does - a single jobber with a red light that doesn’t obviously turn anything on or off and shall likely forever be known as The Mystery Switch.

As opposed to a bad guy (reminded me of Peter from New Order).

1 Like

In a perfect world it turns your neighbour’s fridge on and off.

4 Likes

8 Likes

That sounds like my old houseshare. There was a red switch with a light on the living room wall. Turns out that it was the shower switch.

(If it’s a single switch with a light, it’ll probably be something on a 30amp circuit - so an electric shower, immersion heater, oven etc)

:male_detective:

Good guess, but I can eliminate that from the enquiry cos we have a disused one of those just to the left of it.

Better than that we, actually do have pipework from the flats above that runs through a cupboard in our kitchen, with various stopcock/switching combinations that let us turn our water off (standard), all the water off for all the flats (useful), or
 turn the water off for everyone except us (:smiling_imp: 
 but also useful if someone above has a leak, but we don’t want to sacrifice our own supply).

Other quirky stuff related to our place:

1. We have two addresses - cos we’re in the ground floor, on the corner, in a tent block - our flat has a main door opening onto one street and the other seven flats share a common entrance and hall (which our ‘back door’ opens into) which opens onto the other street. Council tax, the electoral roll, and the electric meter are registered to the shared entrance address, everything else is registered to our front door address.
  2. We have a shower room and a bathroom and if you have the doors open, two people can see each other and chat whilst defecating. Or, they could have a poo race (haven’t done this 
yet). :poop::grinning:

(It’s a shame @anon29812515 isn’t around, I think he’d enjoy that second nugget.)

1. Could but never would unless the two people were complete weirdos.

Considering that there was a thread on here the other week that appeared to be a competitive hot drink drinking contest thread, I don’t reckon I’m too far away from being in the right place for recruiting a poo race pal. :toilet::poop::hourglass_flowing_sand::medal_military:

If you’ve got a redundant shower switch next to it, I’d bet it’s for an extractor fan.

A strong possibility. It’s not right next to it but it is near it, on a different wall, but in the same cupboard that backs onto the shower room. :thinking:

I think it’s an old immersion heater switch. An extractor fan switch probably wouldn’t have a light on it as it’s not on a 30amp fuse circuit.

Are you sure that it’s the sockets that are not working, and that it isn’t just a couple of the fuses that have tripped?

First things to find out when you move into a new place include:

• Where your external and internal stop valve are (for the water)
  • Where your gas meter and valve are
  • Where your electricity meter and fusebox/consumer unit are

From the survey/report you sent me, the consumer unit is in your kitchen. It should look like this:

When a fuse trips in the circuit, the relevant switch will pop upwards. All you should need to do is look for any that are in the up positions and flick them back down.

4 Likes

also take a meter reading

3 Likes