Buying a house - first steps

Obviously that goes in the built-in storage of the £200 Ikea frame.

1 Like

Eh?

:smiley: KNEW you’d rise to this.

I almost thought about not typing it out, but I’m feeling tired and mean.

Suffice to say when I was trying to think of a person who might replace their mattress after the recommended period of time then only one name sprang to mind.

1 Like

Spend the heist money on toast. Then stuff the toast in the mattress.

Oh right, I thought you meant, ‘read up about mattresses in Which?, test out the best buys, then wait until the mattress you want is on offer, and then hope that it lasts a very long time,’ which is what we did with our Sealy Nostromo 1400.

4 Likes

Oooh. 1400. We went with a J-Lew Ortho 1400. On a WestElm ‘Mid-century’ frame. Very pleased with the combo. Not so pleased they had a sale on them three weeks after we’d bought 'em. :grinning:

Anyway, @Epimer - @Im_On_Safari is right, there’s a thread for yer furniture needs

1 Like

@moderators, mind moving my bed/mattress nonsense to that thread so the house buying one isn’t cluttered, please?

I put my bid in today for this and went about 8% over the valuation which I’m now worried may be too high although it’s still well within my budget and there was another person at my first viewing last week who was very keen and I’m sure will almost certainly be bidding also, there are probably one or two others as well (but who knows).

Imagine you were a rich insomniac and bought that and you still couldn’t sleep.

1 Like

eyeing up a house but it appears to have Carrie buried in the back yard

1 Like

Help please! (probably @marckee, let’s be honest)

Got the survey through and it’s flagged up a CATEGORY 3 for some bits of the roof and chimney - defective flashing where the extension meets the main building, some loose hip tiles (?), chimney needs repointing, chimney flaunching (?!) needs replacing.

Terrifyingly, there’s evidence of “a light wood-boring beetle infestation” in some roof timbers.

Obviously I’ll get quotes for this, but how serious are these issues? How expensive (roughly) will the roof/chimney stuff be? Should I be running away screaming from this house?

:disappointed:

Think it all turns out ok in the end, can’t really remember… just him falling through the floor.

The outside roof things sound fine. We had some similar things when we moved in here and it cost us a couple of hundred quid for a man up a ladder.

The timber stuff sounds more of a worry. I guess the main question to ask is how much damage has been done. You basically need to know whether it’s a “spray some stuff on” problem or a “buy new roof” problem.

2 Likes

Also: ring up your surveyor and ask them about it.

1 Like

He says it’s historical and not worth worrying about, but probably get it looked at anyway.

Good news.

1 Like

^Yeah, what they said.

1 Like

I dunno, maybe I’m being a bit soft about this but I feel like there’s a better, less terrifying (espesh for a FTB) way to word that. Or even just supplement it with “but it looks like it was a while ago, still maybe get someone to have a look it, no danger mate.” Or even just send over the survey and then call the buyer to talk through some of the points.

I can totally imagine some buyers who are less thorough than you appear to have been just shitting the bed upon reading that and then backing out in a panic. (I have friends who’ve done this, at least.)

Anyway, the pros and cons house didn’t come off unfortunately. My mum suggested I go really cheeky and it backfired, causing the vendor to refuse my offer and then accept another offer which they had been mulling over which was still below my target price. Having said that, the more I think about it, I am relieved. It would’ve been a lot of work and would’ve taken months and significant £££ to get the way I would want.

Now had an offer accepted on another property which was toward the top end of my budget (£128k) but it’s a nice, established area which isn’t around the corner from the cool bars and hangouts, like my current place. So hopefully that will mean I’ll go out (a little bit) less. Or I’ll just carry on going out all the time and spend additional funds on taxis everywhere and I’m bankrupt by January… :roll_eyes:

Was expecting to pay £600-ish for home buyer’s report/survey and had been told to avoid using surveyors/conveyancers recommended by my lender because they are commission based and not necessarily the best value but my lender said there’s a £200 charge for the valuation which has to be done, one way or another, or I could get a full home buyer’s report (so survey and valuation) for £395 which seemed like a no-brainer tbh. Was I overestimating to begin with?

2 Likes