Buying a house - first steps

You know that pleasantly drowsy feeling you get sitting next to one of those fires? That’s basically carbon monoxide poisoning in action.

Outrageous cost to run, carbon monoxide emissions, literal fiery deathtraps due to A: basically being a whole hob stuck on a wall and B: dodgy AF doom relic wiring.

But otherwise fine?

10 Likes

When we moved into our house the previous owners left all the receipts and brochures for the big things they had installed…this included this for the back boiler

10 Likes

Blimey.

FREE PUMP WITH EVERY BOILER

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes
You won't *believe* what they use to hold up the bunkbed!

It’s just held up with some wall brackets.

The house itself was a family home for some time but they’ve now moved on and it’s been empty for a while. I think the owner has carried out quite a bit of the work himself, which is why it has a fairly quirky kitchen and so on. It’s actually quite a good space inside, albeit in need of modernisation and probably not the right thing for us.

In other news, we’ve put in an offer on a house :grimacing:

5 Likes

which, after a bit of negotiation, has now been accepted! :partying_face:

20 Likes

STUNNING

Woof!

4 Likes

Solar powered shed. What’s inside? :thinking:

2 Likes

And the house looks a fair bit higher than the burn that runs past it so there should be no issues with flooding, but I’d check out the interactive SEPA flood mapping just to give a bit more certainty.

You’ll need a full postcode to use it.

https://map.sepa.org.uk/floodmaps

1 Like

Am I the only one wondering what’s going on with that property boundary line?

2 Likes

Just a bit of caution if you continue to look in that area. That side of the Loch is not connected to the main road to Glasgow via the top of the loch. You’d have to go east down minor road for quite some time to get to the nearest town. I’d recommend doing a google maps journey planner for every property you like to get an idea or just how remote it is. Something might look close in distance but actually take ages to get anywhere.

BRB - going to buy that house

6 Likes

Makes more sense when you look at the photographs and see the fences. Would 100% love to live somewhere like this!

Just seems a bit weird to own the access road to someone else’s house.

1 Like

That is a very good point.

Part of the access to our house is owned by our neighbours. It’s in the deeds that they have to provide access for us and maintain the access too. It’s fairly common for rural properties.

4 Likes

I’ve cycled past that house! The road is amazing as it’s effectively a dead end for cars at the hotel, so it’s really quiet with no through-traffic

2 Likes

Sorry, didn’t see this before I posted!

When I was on my bike we paid for a ride over to the other side of the loch with a ferry service that the hotel operated. Was full of bemused elderly tourists then me and my gf with our bikes covered in sweat and mud :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah fair enough. I can imagine it might get a bit complicated if there aren’t that many roads around. Strikes me that with that property you really need to be sure you’d get on with your few neighbours!