Buying a house - first steps

We’ve got furniture, fuck!

Fuck, I’ve got to sell that fucking wardrobe as well now. This is a nightmare.

1 Like

Chuck it out the window and move on with your life.

2 Likes

Get Smee to come down with the van

Coming down with a van #JustSmeeThings

2 Likes

Put it on Gumtree for a bargain price and it’ll be gone in no time.

Or you’ll have a bunch of divs and timewasters pissing you about.

4 Likes

we had so much furniture. only moved probably less than a mile down the road and had about 5 folk helping us and it was still absolutely awful.

I am already losing my head about it

It cost us £350 in Glasgow.

It’ll probably cost you one million Euro in London.

5 Likes

Still laugh at the person who tried to haggle down my gf from £5 for a beanbag (collection only) to £3 and would you mind dropping it off at my house that’s 5 miles away?

Chancers abound!

I reckon if you’re punting something over £30 or so, it filters out the worst of the idiotholes. Less than that and it’s pretty much chazzer territory if it’s not easily ebayed.

When’s the DiS house warning then? :wink:

I hope the rest goes smoothly. The process of buying a house changed me from being a mild mannered laid back person to being not quite so much.

2 Likes

Is it a new build flat, or are you wanting to do any decorating/prep to it?

Bear in mind that you’ll never get a better time to blitz your new flat with a quick paint job, or fit new floors, or get some plumbing or electrics done than when it’s empty. If you can afford to rent your current place for a month on top of your mortgage for an extra couple of weeks it could make the first year or so in the new place a lot more bearable.

3 Likes

This has completely done me for some reason.

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t even bother trying to sell literally anything and chazzered the lot, including an Xbox 360 and all the games, plastic guitars etc because absolutely fuck dealing with the Gumtree (etc) nonsense.

2 Likes

Oh, and make sure you have a really thorough purge of all your belongings before you pack them up for moving. Paperwork and clothes are the big things that will take up unnecessary space and will be a real ballache to unbox after you move in, but old electricals are also an easy win.

2 Likes

@anon5266188
This is what I would do. I’d wait until I had the keys and then give notice. then i’d get in there, clean, paint, do any jobs I needed to and then slowly move everything over.

If that’s affordable for you. It’ll be less stressful IMO.

1 Like

It’s nine years old so in decent nick, we need a new oven installed and will get internet and telly and that sorted before moving in.

Any further redecoration we’ll do whilst we’re in there though I think. Replacing lino in the kitchen and bathroom will be the first thing I reckon.

and don’t move everything in the hope you’ll sort through it there and throw shit away. You won’t. Throw stuff away NOW.

4 Likes

I will be banging this drum very hard indeed

or hide it away in the garage like I did!

2 Likes