Buying a house - first steps

Ours has lino in the kitchen and in the bathroom, is that not every bit as noisy as laminate?

honestly, it probably wouldn’t be a problem 90% of the time. You could investigate getting a lease variation now (i.e. when you’re not desperately trying to sell etc.!) so you have peace of mind. No idea how much this would cost though (hundreds?)

it’s a bit softer so would probably absorb noises a bit better?

Have you seen it in person? 55 metres square is pretty small. My current flat is about that size and our second bedroom is not a double, one of the reasons we’re moving is because it’s only really good for three if the third person is a baby and not an older child. You might find it a bit cramped if you intend to be there for a while.

yeah, but if it specifies “carpet” on the lease it could be the most sound proofed thing ever, but wouldn’t comply with the lease. No matter how stupid that is

Not all conveyancing solicitors, etc. etc. (most of them, tbf)

We’ve just moved out of a shared ownership flat, and my wife is one of the above mentioned, so I know a little bit of boring stuff about shared ownership leases and how the rules work, but not loads because i had An Expert dealing with it for me.

Our lease said no pets, and we got two cats anyway. If they found out, they could terminate your lease and boot you out or something? But how would they find out, unless someone informed them? We figured the only way they’d know was nosey neighbours, or when we moved and took them with us anyway. Other people in our block had cats long before we did too. Calculated risk.

Floors. Ours had to stay as-is, which was solid floors in kitchen/living room and bathroom, and carpet elsewhere. Again, how would they find out? The spanner in the works here is, if you don’t own the whole flat then you might be obliged to offer the sale through the housing association for a certainly amount of time when you come to that. I think ours was three months, then it could go on the open market (but we’d staircased and bought the whole thing, so it went straight on the open market). I assume they would make you revert it back to what it was?

I just read through our lease myself, instead of getting a report done which seemed pointless. We tried to get a clause about no BBQs on the balcony taken out, and have the no pets thing removed, and they wouldn’t budge on either.

Our housing association were pretty lackadaisical with enforcing most of the lease terms. It took them 4 years to demand all the AirBnB rentals came down as they breached the lease, despite the security issues our block had.

Need to actually find the sodding lease itself so I can check first! (99.9% certain that we’ll have breached it accidentally though)

Mrs HYG viewed it today and was keen (but she was before too), I want to go and look myself.

She mentioned there are apparently neighbours below AND above which I can’t quite work out (unless there’s a flat entirely in the roof?) so yeah I need to see it.

I think everyone does. Most of them were written decades ago, and (I believe) the flooring scene for example, has moved on hugely since! Ours probably had something about where our cattle grazed in it as well. Dumb

1 Like

Ftfm

Carpeting a kitchen is insanity.

4 Likes

Yeah my grandma used to have a carpeted bathroom (it went right up the side of the bath!) but never seen a carpeted kitchen.

One of the flats I rented in Oxford had (NHS standard waiting room) carpet throughout, including in the kitchen? It was grim.

Yeah the first shared house I rented had carpet in the kitchen. Shared house. Six blokes. Carpeted kitchen…

you can port your existing fixed mortgage and then take out a variable rate for the additional amount but sometimes this isn’t competitive if you change LTV bandings, so it’s a situation where it’s worth getting a broker on board (not necessarily now if you’re just taking out a new fixed rate deal, but if you decide to move and still have time on your fixed rate deal. We’re going through the exact issue.

1 Like

Might do this house buying thing in the next 6 months or so.

Question to my fellow conservatives: is there a ballpark figure I should expect to pay for all of the costs associated with buying a house? That is, all the shit you have to pay for on top of the actual deposit. Stamp duty probably not an issue given our budget.

Depends on the area, age of the property etc. But we paid, off the top of my head, a bit over a grand for solicitors and 300ish for a survey. Those are the biggies

Then any furniture that you need, van hire/removal company, any work that needs doing when you move etc

Thanks, good to know. For all I knew it’d be another £5k or something unpleasant!

Most mortgages come with a ÂŁ500-ÂŁ1000 fee, although that can normally just be swallowed up into the mortgage.

1 Like