Buying a house - first steps

Really enjoying that you’re not holding back on this!

@badmanreturns I genuinely want you to try out Tommy from the Apprentice, he literally drives around the country delivering mattresses and he won’t be beaten on price! At the very least give him a call, just for a chat. BOSH!

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t quite catch what you said there. All I could hear was the drones and creaks of a thousand Dysons. Or it may have been the chants of the mob being swirled up this hill by the howling wind, and the rope rubbing against this crucifix.

Asking this on behalf of a friend, it’s not about buying a home but about owning one in a broader sense:

So our friend who lives nearby lives in a terraced house, with a very elderly neighbour next door. The neighbour is friendly enough but for a long time now their home has been a state and left to fall into disrepair - they’re hoarding a lot of stuff, their are leaks and so on - and now it’s got to the point that our friend’s kitchen wall is covered in mould because of moisture coming in through roof on the neighbour’s house. They don’t really know what they can do about it though - they need the neighbour to repair their home in order to fix theirs, but they’re a bit stumped on how that can happen. What’s the first port of call in that scenario? They’ve spoken to the neighbour who has acknowledged it (they let a builder come into look at the wall and confirm that was the cause of the mould) but they don’t engage when asked if they’re going to repair it.

Probably need to call their local environmental health department as a first stop.

1 Like

Report it to environmental health?

Report it to environmental health but also see if they can speak to the neighbour. Find out if they need anything, and if possible get details of any family just so they’re in the loop.

Le environmentoi


Yep. Enviro/public health dept at the council. Had this happen to me (water from kitchen above) and wasted ages dicking about with my insurance company (who need to be alerted asap, but who can’t do anything about a third party property).

I’d also speak to my insurer as well and ask their advice. They’ve probably dealt with this kind of thing before, and also insurers can get a bit funny if you don’t tell them of a notifiable problem as soon as you’re aware of it.

It might be different in Scotland, but insurers in England can get involved with a third party if you’re sharing party walls, or if it’s causing consequential damage to your property. At this stage it might only amount to them contacting the neighbour’s insurer to make them aware that a potential claim is on the horizon, but it sets the wheels in motion.

Fair. I confess I don’t know the exact legality on what insurers can do here. But I know mine had zero inclination to do anything about the upstairs property, despite the substantial consequential damage. So it’s true I’m only inferring on that basis.

One thing’s for sure: the council team were a massive help, and I’m still amazed my insurers didn’t mention them as being a way of getting the neighbours leak sorted.

From what I gather the neighbour has adult children, and the unfortunate impression our friend has is that that they’re not interested in helping at all and just keenly waiting for their mum to pass on so they can make a mint on the house :cry:

that’s very sad. I can be a slippery slope as it sounds like they’ll have complex needs but worth trying to a good neighbour and being helpful and understanding