Buying a house - first steps

Went to yet another unsuccessful viewing today, but the upside is we met the resident cat that was 23 years old.

10 Likes

Love this :heart_eyes:

Would you maybe need a jeep/4x4? I’d be a bit nervous about being cut off if the weather got bad in the winter. Maybe worth speaking to the hotel

Lovely.

Big fan of the biggest Orkney island being called Mainland.

Hello you lot. Lapsed DiSer here, popping in to ask a property question.

Is it common (or even possible) to conduct a house sale directly without listing it with an estate agent? Like, if you were able to agree a price and get solicitors involved to get things moving, is that a potential benefit to the seller?

For context - next door to the house I’m renting has been empty for a year because the occupant unfortunately died. Their neice was round in the week and I overheard a conversation about “when it goes on the market”.

Would I have any hope of getting in touch a requesting a first refusal? I realise that getting an agent involved will start a bidding war and ultimately get them a better price. But, for a relative having to sort this out, I’m chain free, would make a fair offer and save them the hassle (and cost) of getting it listed.

It’s a tiny house, and properties in my price range (especially on a single income) don’t come on the market very often, and when they do they’re gone before you can get a viewing, so it might be route out of renting for me.

Would it be worth a shot, or does having an agent involved give the sellers an extra layer of protection/due diligence that they’d otherwise be missing out on?

It’s definitely possible

My parents sold their house after a friend of a friend of a friend knocked on their door and asked to buy their house.

I don’t know the logistics of it though sorry

1 Like

That place is stunning,

1 Like

You just ask them, make an offer, and if they accept it, you instruct your solicitors to proceed, in the same way that you would if there was an estate agent.

It’s up to the vendor to make the initial decision on whether the savings from not paying an estate agent’s commission outweigh the potential higher selling price due to the agent’s selling skills.

A good estate agent will also act as the go-between, chivvying solicitors along, but good solicitors shouldn’t need this.

1 Like

My folks sold their house a few years back by putting a home made sign on the fence at the front of the property. No agent. Someone made an offer very soon after the sign went up. I think they just told their respective solicitors to talk to each other and sort it out from there.

1 Like

Just had this confirmed by my folks.

Someone was passing and saw the sign within two hours of it going up and offered the asking price there and then, which my folks accepted. Done.

“People would quite often just put up their own sign back then.”

‘Back then’ being late 80s in this case

It’s not only possible. I just did it.

Sold my old flat to a landlord of other flats in the same block. We shook on a price and the whole thing went through in less than two months. The buyer thinks he’s got a good price and I was delighted not having to do the place up and generally make it habitable.

1 Like

Nice! Did you bother getting proper valuations or did you just have a figure in mind that you knew you’d accept? I feel like if I propose it we’d have to get someone to value it and for me to offer accordingly (I have no idea what it’s worth), but is that any less faff for them than just getting it listed?

I’ve decided I am going to mention it to them anyway. No harm in trying, eh?

2 Likes

Yeah definitely! Got to be worth a try? A friend of mine bought a place after popping notes into every house in the area he wanted to buy in, and someone replied with a price, which he accepted.

I’d imagine they’d get a few valuations anyway before agreeing to list it with an estate agent, so could just take a median price and save themselves the commission by letting you have first dibs.

1 Like

Bought and sold a few times now and been personally recommended ‘good solicitors’ each time and they’ve all need a huge amount of chivvying along. Agree that EAs can be helpful when there’s a long chain and a lots of chasing up to make things happen. If it’s a simple transaction then no need for an EA

We didn’t quite get as far as doing the actual posting, though we did prepare for doing so by compiling a definitive list based on specific criteria. (But then one of the ones on the list cropped up on Rightmove, which we bought.)

Not house buying but house care - pretty worried I’ve found damp / cracking plaster on a shared wall upstairs. I know the neighbour is having roofing work done there soon because we signed a party wall agreement on it, but wondering if we’ve been affected too. Need to talk to him about it, but Christ, the sick feeling in my stomach when I noticed. Really don’t want to / can’t afford to deal with that. Properly freaked out :cry:

Might be worth checking your home insurance policy to see if you’d be covered.

Yeah fingers crossed. Just had the neighbour round and the work they’re doing isn’t really connected though might uncover any issues once they start. Not even sure who you get to look at something like that? Urgh just going to have low level dread about this for ages now

My dad died in the summer, and me and my partner are living in his old flat. We were saving for a deposit and starting to browse potential places, but we’re just going to stay here as it’s a place (and an area) we never ever would’ve been able to afford otherwise, so we’re in a pretty privileged position. Just paying council tax/bills at the moment, but the plan is to buy my brother out and take on (what’s effectively a half-price?) mortgage.

So we have some funds to refurbish the place properly. Overdue for the electrics rewiring, ceilings could do with getting replastered, needs a new kitchen, bathroom, flooring, etc. Some potential damp issues around the old chimney. No better time than now to properly address what needs fixing and sorting in terms of finances and where we’re at, but the scale of it makes me feel a bit ill.

Probably about time that I become a proper adult and start getting to grips with taking on responsibility like this, but (e.g.) getting window panes replaced with condensation trapped between is a very depressing and boring way to spend a few hundred quid, eh? And that kind of thing is probably the tip of the iceberg in terms of what needs doing.

Kind of feel like asking for advice here, but even then, I don’t even know exactly what – almost like “where do I even begin?” / beginners tips, recommended reading, etc?

tbh man. I dont know :sweat_smile:

I did my place up 10 years ago before/as I moved in, so didnt have to live in the building site.

Id say first of all write a list of everything that needs doing. A lot of it is critical path analysis of not wanting to do Y until you’ve done X.

1 Like