Buying a house - first steps

Could threaten to pull out if they don’t get it done by a certain date, but they might call your bluff.

Yes, we experienced this. Our buyers’ solicitor decided to take her daughter shopping on the day we were due to exchange.

I’d say it’s for your buyer to push their solicitor. Depends how tough you want to get but if you threaten to pull out that will usually motivate them. If you’re nervous about doing that you could send a stroppy email about their conduct and say it’s making you consider pulling out but if they can get their act together by xx date you’ll feel more comfortable.

1 Like

And @JCT

Oof - now I feel dramatic for threatening to pull out 9-10 weeks after offer accepted! The whole process is really bloody silly, isn’t it.

Missed the conversation earlier about loft conversions. When we bought our house fifteen years ago ours was listed as a “bonus room”. Access is via a very steep staircase where presumably a boiler/airing cupboard used to be on the first floor. It doesn’t have planning permission, although oddly our conservatory does. We basically use it as a comfy loft and have filled it with junk. Mrs F does her sewing and making stuff up there and a handful of people have slept there for the odd night over the years. As far as I can tell the only downside is that you can’t market the house counting it as a bedroom, but it’s not something that’s ever bothered us.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we don’t have much leverage, as it would be a total disaster for us to lose our buyer.

They are a first time buyer, which I think has something to do with it as it doesn’t feel like they are pushing them anywhere near as much as they should be. I think a lot of it is down to being naive about the process and trusting their solicitor’s judgement.

It is such a frustrating position to be in!

Yeah, I didn’t get the house so it’s irrelevant now but I would ideally have liked to turn the big cupboardy area up there into an en-suite as the bathroom was on the ground floor - something you presumably couldn’t do it the attic didn’t having planning permission / doesn’t meet building regs. But all academic now.

Have you tried making direct contact with the buyer? It might be that they don’t know their solicitor is being rubbish and they’re just as frustrated with the process as you are.

Needs a complete refurb inside, but £78k ffs…

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125207543

1 Like

We have thought about it, as that seems the next logical step.

Unfortunately we would be in real trouble if our buyer pulled out, so it seems a bit too risky to us. We are really reluctant to do anything that might irritate her, or make her think she could knock a bit of money off the asking price.

:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

Also makes the headache of whether to go for 2 or 5 year fixed all the worse

not definite but…

Interest rates likely to hit 4% next year - analyst

Many people “will be breathing a sight of relief” that the interest rate rise was limited to half a percentage point rather than three-quarters of a point, AJ Bell analyst Danni Hewson says.

But it’s still “a big deal”, she tells BBC News.

Despite the Bank of England being the first major central bank to raise interest rates, Hewson says a lot of experts maintain the bank was “behind the curve and hasn’t acted swiftly enough” to curb soaring inflation.

She says the decision to raise the rate by half a percentage point, rather than following the US lead and instituting a more aggressive rise, was probably tempered by the government’s recent announcement to cap energy costs for domestic and business users in the UK.

However, Hewson says there remains “a difficult balancing act” for the Bank, weighing up “how much pain” it can inflict “at a time when the economy is slowing down”.

The expectation is interest rates will hit 3% by the end of the year and are likely to rise to 4% next year and not fall back again until 2024, she says.

1 Like

Got the keys today!!! I don’t want to be a Debbie-downer, but after a visit I’m feeling a bit deflated. The house is much tattier than I remember and it stinks of fag smoke.

Also the last owner has also taken the carpet and built-in oven, which were listed as included on the contents and fittings form. Obv solicitors and EA have been emailed, but is there really anything they can do?

9 Likes

ahhhh it will all be worthwhile and forgotten/laughed about soon enough.

dont know enough about contracts etc what you can do about it to get some money but congratulations!

1 Like

This is just me, but my attitude was always: fix to get the security of knowing your outgoings, not to second guess the market.

Because the market will always be trying to screw you.

4 Likes

Who takes a built in oven with them ffs :joy:

16 Likes

Almost admirably dickheadish behaviour

5 Likes

yeah its bullshit innit. the carpets are a fucker as it’ll take time to sort out, never mind the cost. did a bit of googling just out of my own curiosity

They are also obliged to leave behind all contents stated in the contract of sale (via the TA10 form) so, if a buyer turns up to find all the white goods have been taken, that could be deemed a breach of the sales contract. Legal procedures can be costly, however, and as unfair as it is, sometimes it is simply not worth a buyer’s while to go down that path.

1 Like

That sucks but you’re right. The best they can do (for nothing) is send an official sounding letter. Your seller’s solicitors will know full well that this is a breach of contract, but will also know that it will cost you a load more money than it’s worth to pursue it legally.

1 Like

Can’t remember what we weren’t left as part of the F&F when we bought this place, but there was definitely something we’d asked to be included. We got over it though.

Assuming you can afford it probably best to look at it as a chance to treat yourself and “make the place your own” as they say on the home makeover shows.

1 Like