Buying a house - first steps

When my mum moved into her house she found that the previous owner had taken the cord for the bathroom light.

7 Likes

Fortunately there’s passable floorboards under the carpet underlay she did leave. I reckon we can just live with those for the time being. Not that we have any other choice

1 Like

I think when I sold my flat I actually left them my old kettle, reasoning a) I was moving in with Mrs F and she already had a kettle and b) having a cup of tea as soon as you move in would be nice and you might not remember where you packed yours.

I went looking for it a few years later without success so that’s the story I’ve ended up telling myself.

2 Likes

THE most important thing is not to let it get you down. This is one of the good days and you shouldn’t let anything spoil it.

Congratulations!

8 Likes

The carpet might have stank of smoke too so they’ve probably done you a favour in that respect…

Also I think I’ve felt that (to a greater or lesser degree) with every house I’ve moved into. I’ve always been one to clean the house to within an inch of its life, fill in holes where units / pictures have been removed, etc etc. I don’t think I’ve ever moved into a house where the owner has bothered to do the same. In our first house they’d left the (standalone) oven but had also left a greasy, fat-filled grill pan :nauseated_face:

EDIT - also what filth said. You’ll have it looking like yours in no time. Congratulations :partying_face:

5 Likes

It’s also important to realise that homes are big complicated things and they have faults all over the place. If you’re selling one then you will probably make some effort to conceal them, so over the next few months as you get used to the place you will find little things here and there that aren’t quite what you hoped. But that’s par for the course and eventually you’ll start finding problems that are the result of your own bad decisions. It’s all just part of the circle of life and it’s kind of amazing how long you can put up with some of those type of things if you really put your mind to it!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone :heart:

and yeah, @colon_closed_bracket you’re probs right about the carpet! :smiley:

I’m going to look in to that paint that can block smells in cos the whole place needs painting anyway

1 Like

I would definitely advise doing as much decorating as you can stomach as early as possible, because after a while you just won’t be able to summon the motivation. Our house is basically rooms we decorated within the first couple of months 15 years ago and ones that are completely untouched since we moved in.

6 Likes

Except for the kitchen, which I painted white when we got a bank holiday a few years back for a royal wedding. Needed something to do.

1 Like

i’d still at least try and get some cash back though - it was your carpet to be repulsed at and they shouldnt have taken it.

3 Likes

so true - really enjoyed and worked proper hard when i first moved in - so hard to face now (9 years later)

1 Like

Conversely, we moved in more than five years ago, and it’s only in the last few months that we’re FINALLY doing something about it (although tbf, the first few years we had a very small child, then there was a pandemic)

7 Likes

Mate kids love painting :wink:

2 Likes

100% this. The carpet would definitely have had to come up if they smoked inside. Can empathise with your experience of feeling deflated though. When we finally got our keys and had a chance to look around on our own we were completely overwhelmed by the reality of it and the task at hand. Ours also stank of fags and was way grubbier than it looked with all the furniture in it. We absolutely love it now but we definitely didn’t get that giddy feeling when we finally got it over the line. Little by little you’ll make it yours and you will love it too. Congratulations.

Replied to wrong person obvs. @Tilly

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m worried about!

(we’re still a long way off painting though - the room’s partially cleared, we’re part way through stripping the wallpaper, we’ve had a plasterer round to check out the walls who’s said that some of the plaster is over 150 years old, so that’ll need skimming, THEN we can think about painting. Which is probably an idea to do before we get a new carpet put in, given what could happen)

1 Like

Yeah I’ve done no painting on our current house since we moved in 5 months ago because

• I spent such a long time last summer redecorating our old house and need a break
  • there’s nothing that urgently needs doing (no stinky walls)
  • I’ve spent so many Saturdays on that rabbit enclosure :smiley:
3 Likes

our upstairs got plastered nearly a year ago - hoping to paint it this weekend…or maybe next…or the one after…

1 Like

Yeah, not to scare you @Tilly but I moved into a room that had housed a smoker and it was literally months before it stopped smelling of smoke, even after mopping the walls, washing the curtains and shampooing the carpet. You’re right to be pissed off as that was your carpet, but it would probably have been minging and at least now you don’t have to scrub it

I’m not clear on why people want to take their manky old carpet with them anyway, given that it’s fitted and doesn’t last forever surely it’s more cost effective just to get what you need for your new place, rather than try to fit your old one into different sized rooms (also carpet is disgusting imo)

3 Likes