Buying a house - first steps

Yes… My mind gets blown by non London prices.

It’s one of the more expensive areas in sheffield. Can get an obscene amount of house for not much money at all if you’re happy to live further out. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63733021.html

I’d sound one word of caution, and that’s to be aware of the bus stop.

I used to live in a place with a bus stop right outside and I’d never do it again - aside from people on the top deck being able to see into your bedroom, it’ll attract noise, street drinking, litter in your front garden, and people sitting on your wall.

Yeah the house I grew up in was above one on a main road in Colchester. The couple living there atm have made the loft into the master bedroom which is quite a nice way around the top deck issue. We know the area well and it isnt a particularly busy stop, and traffic was bad outside when we viewed it and the front room and front bedroom were both still quiet. But yeah that’s probably the reason it’s within our budget in the first place, but given how nice it is I’m ok with the downsides

1 Like

Thats amazing. I’m definitely moving up north in years to come. Our place is worth around £400,000+ and thats far nicer.

You could sell up and be a full Lord of the manor up here

Like for like, and cash for retirement will do me.

That’s well nice! Couldn’t get anything like that over the Pennines for that kind of money.

Is it near the Picturehouse Social? Sure that was on Abbeydale Road.

Yeah it’s about 10 mins walk further out.

This is what I’m in the middle of doing - here’s what I’m selling compared to what I could buy for the same price:

That block of flats you’re selling is massive though

3 Likes

:grinning: I own a whole three of those windows

Our planning guy says it could be £18k to properly convert the loft into a bedroom.

Excellent advice from Wza and markee.

1 Like

Nice. Used to live on that street, a little bit toward town from there. Good location (marred only by a crazy landlady).

Super nice. Just a few doors up from where my gf lived 2-3 years ago as well, she loved living in that area.

Yeah really nice mix of being close enough to busy areas (5 mins walk from the broadfield) while also being prett6 close to completely out of the city (5 mins to meersbrook park, short bike ride out to owler bar etc)

The euphemism of choice for our estate agent was “bonus room”, which we’ve adopted ourselves. They were also weirdly insistent on calling the conservatory a “garden room”, although with hindsight “leaky piece of crap” would have been a better name.

Loft lair.

2 Likes

Obviously hypothetical cause we haven’t bought the bloody thing yet. But (roughly) how much faff and money is it to build an ensuite in a loft (If it’s directly above an existing bathroom)? Or is it dependant on lots of other factors? @marckee

It this putting an ensuite into an existing converted loft (with stairs etc), or is it converting a loft from scratch?